Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early morning weaning....

Default Re: Early morning weaning....

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Well, its a loose time slot right now. I'm really playing it by ear as we go along. For now its from bedtime (730-800ish) til that 430 wake up since I know right now it would be fighting against a developmental milestone/sleep regression and I might aswell just

Some nights he does well, some nights, not so well. ITs hard because I'm trying to respond to his cries as I know them. If he is hysterical, I nurse him. I sometimes feel like "Oh no, am I giving in and teaching him to cry to get his way?" But then I realize,this will all come with time. If I want to be strict, I'd do CIO, right? Just trying to convince myself.
    Well the reason I asked is because the recommendation (of Dr Jay) is to have a 5-6 hour slot so maybe that time span is too long.???? We'll get you through this

What times does he 'usually' wake through the night?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He has no set times for waking up. Which is nice, because it reassures me that he isn't habitually waking, right? The other day he went from 730 AM til 5 AM with no nursing. On his own. Everytime he woke, he just rolled over and went to sleep. Some nights hes waking to nurse every 2 hours. He really likes to keep us on our toes. His eye teeth are almost through, then we are done with teething until the 2 year molars.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Well had you tried the shorter span? It can indeed be rough when the wakings are erratic
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We took the approach of stopping one night time feeding at a time and then having a "no nursing" window of time.

When DS was down to one nursing session, I gradually made it shorter by telling DS he could nurse for me singing "twinkle twinkle little star" three times and then "mommy milk" was going to sleep and it was time for DS to go to sleep. And then I reduced that to 2 times of "twinkle twinkle" and then 1. When it got down to doing one "twinkle twinkle" it was relatively easy to drop that last nursing session.

That being said - DS had been sleeping through and recently has been waking to nurse around 5 am. We discuss - and he agrees that he'll get some mommy milk and then go right back to sleep.

ETA: DH was an integral part of nightweaning and continues to play a big role in nighttime parenting.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Well had you tried the shorter span? It can indeed be rough when the wakings are erratic
    His deepest sleep is in the late-night. Which is why I don't nurse if he wakes at 10 or 11. He can easilly roll over and go back to sleep with a pat on the back. So I use that as a good training time for going to sleep without nursing or rocking. We also feed him right before bed (a snack usually a muffin, banana, or some cottage cheese) at about 7 PM. And then I nurse him down.

I also usually go to sleep between 8 and 9. So that typical "dream-feed" of 10 or 11 PM "as you're going to bed" doesn't work for us, cause I'm already asleep

I am still in the "first three days" of the plan (not exactly three days, but still working through that method) of nursing, but not falling asleep on the breast.
    Lyn

Lyn - see above for our approach of gradually making nursing sessions shorter. I was worried about the impact on DS nutrition, but had to take a leap of faith that less night nursing would give him the "nudge" to eat / drink more during the day.

I also found some of Dr Sears nightweaning ideas to be quite helpful.

Ultimately - IMO it helped us to pick an approach and then be consistent (with flexibility for DS being sick, teething, etc).

How's the pain / anxiety part?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I sang twinkle,twinkle little star for about 1/2 hour at 1 AM And it worked!

The anxiety is doing better! The less I nurse the better. That is why this is happening so suddenly. I think to myself "Am I messing him up by having him cry when I could be nursing him?" Then I tell myself "NO, I cannot nurse him through the anxiety. He can sense my anger, etc" Right? Right? Hehe, trying to convince myself I am not damaging his little self.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I sang twinkle,twinkle little star for about 1/2 hour at 1 AM And it worked!

The anxiety is doing better! The less I nurse the better. That is why this is happening so suddenly. I think to myself "Am I messing him up by having him cry when I could be nursing him?" Then I tell myself "NO, I cannot nurse him through the anxiety. He can sense my anger, etc" Right? Right? Hehe, trying to convince myself I am not damaging his little self.
    How old is he mama? It didn't work for us until DS was 18 mo. we tried once before and it just wanst time.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Lyn--it is more damaging for you to be irritable than it is for him to get a little less milk. You are doing good, mama. This weaning is gentle!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hes 16 months. We did try a few months ago and were met with hysterics. Now, no hysterics, sometimes no cries at all. IF we do get cries they are angry cries and settle down, not escalate.

If DH tries during the night, Daniel gets hysterical and will not go to sleep. And honestly, I would much rather be walking and rocking Daniel at 1 AM than nursing him with the way it makes me body and mind feel. So I do what I have to do, and we press on.

I try to use my instinct, and sometimes yes, I do nurse him if I feel its needed. But I do not force myself if I physically cannot handle it.
    Lyn