Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early morning weaning....

Default Early morning weaning....

We are using the Dr Jay Gordon method for night-weaning. We have run into an issue in the early mornings. Daniel will wake around 430 and want to nurse. This is still SLEEP time for us, so I want to not nurse him. I try every other method of getting him to sleep and eventually he decides he might aswell just get up. So our days are starting at 430 AM, even if I decide to "Give in" and nurse him back to sleep its too late. Its already been an hour and a half of fighting it and he wont go back down. I'm left with nursing him, and a very cranky child, and a VERY LONG day.

Any ideas??
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Early morning weaning....

I'm going through the exact same thing as you! I had some success yesterday with some drinkable yogurt in a sippy cup. I brought him into my bedroom and kept the lights off so that he wouldn't wake up too much. Even just laying him up against my breast made him calm down. It took him awhile to accept the sippy, but once he realized it was yogurt and not milk, he chugged it. I was then able to lay him back down. I'm not sure he even fell back to sleep, but he was quiet until about 6:30, which was fine with me. I don't know how old your baby is, but my son is 1 yr. and his doc told me that it's not abnormal for a baby his age to need to eat after 10 hours, so he said I should feed him then instead of trying to get him to go back to sleep - and he is usually a big "let them cry it out" kind of person. The thing that is making it even harder for us right now is that he's getting some teeth, so he was up screaming all night. I'm starting to feel like I'm never going to sleep again - especially since, like you, I'm expecting another baby. I just keep telling myself that someday, they're going to be teenagers that sleep all the time.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

How is the rest of the nightweaning going? Are you willing to keep that one nursing session? That's what we had to do with Haylee--keep her 4 and her 5 o'clock sessions so we could get more sleep.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

If it wasn't for the extreme anxiety, panic, anger, etc during nursing I would be happy to keep the early morning sessions. This is why I have the NEED to change things, kWIM?

Last night I was able to nurse him down at 730 and not nurse him again til about 330 AM. This is not typical, however. He did stir/wake multiple times before 330 but with his binkie or a little kiss he went back to sleep without nursing.

I know I should be thankful for a good night like that. And usually I would be more than willing to nurse in the morning to get a few extra hours of sleep. But these new feelings I'm having during nursing are making it too emotional and challenging for me to stay calm and be a good Mama to him.

I want to continue to nurse him during the day and before nap and bedtime. But I am afraid if I push this too much I will end up weaning all the way due to my anxiety.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    How is the rest of the nightweaning going? Are you willing to keep that one nursing session? That's what we had to do with Haylee--keep her 4 and her 5 o'clock sessions so we could get more sleep.

I still do this - if DS wakes overnight DH gets to soothe him back to sleep. If DS wakes after 5 am (my personal cut off for not really night but earlier than I want to start my day) I nurse and *usually* DS will go back to sleep for another hour or hour and a half. While I'm nursing I tell DS over and over and over that it is still night time and he's going to get mommy milk and then go back to bed and go back to sleep. At first DS wanted to start his day at that time, but now when he's done with the "second side" he says "bed" and points at his bed and goes back to sleep without a fuss.

I've found that it helps to talk to DS and tell him exactly what is going to happen. I firmly believe (and DS demonstrates daily) that a LO at that age understand alot more than it may first seem.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

You're right. If I can make the effort to keep that nursing session it would mean more sleep for all of us. If I have to bounce, walk, shush him for an hour and a half and THEN nurse him, what am I gaining anyway?

If I can combat this anxiety I know I will be FINE with it. Just waiting for a PG nursing Mom who's BTDT to tell me when/if it improves! I'm going to talk to my midwife about anti-depressants and possibly using Rescue Remedy spray during the nursing times (on myself, not Daniel )
    Lyn

Lyn,

I just watched your video on utube...it was beautiful! I think that when you are having those feelings of anxiousness and panic, you should watch that video! I understand how you feel, though. My son loves nursing so much that I would have moments of panic about weaning - "it's going to be so hard", "he's never going to do it", "I'm dreading it", etc. When I would start to feel that way, I would just remind myself, that one day, he will not be nursing and that I will miss it (which I do - alot!) and that if my biggest stress is weaning my son because he loves his mama so much that he doesn't want to give it up, then I'm a very lucky person. Good luck!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Lyn - I wanted to add that our night weaning experience has been that it is more of a "dance" and took quite a bit of time. I really really don't want to nurse DS before 6 am, but when DS really really can't make it all the way to my somewhat arbitrary cut off time, I nurse and get us all a little more sleep. I'm not thrilled by those 5 am nursing sessions, but it is better than starting our day that early or DH spending an hour trying to get DS to go back to sleep and none of us getting sleep. So it seems like for us its a little give & take and adjusting for what else is going on (DS not feeling well, teething, etc).

My DS really seemed to get it when I told him during my no nursing window that "mommy milk is sleeping".

I hope that your anxiety feeling start getting better! How about a little meditation or singing to yourself?

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

That 4:30 time slot is a killer. It stuck around even after we weaned and while I will still nursing her back to sleep, it did not make a difference. For a long time she would just be wide awake for about an hour or an hour and a half like you said. I think it has something to do with sleep cycles personally and so I think whatever method you decide to use, you will just have to be consistent and ride it out. Ask Moxie had a post about it with some good suggestions....

http://www.askmoxie.org/2008/01/help-for-parent.html

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

we did the dr gordon method with combined nightweaning, and the same thing happened to us. ds would wake up sometime between 4 and 5. at first, i would still nurse him and we would all fall back asleep. then once he got used to his new schedule, dh started trying to distract him. i forget the timeline on this-- it could've been after a week, could've been a month! ds was very unhappy about dropping this feeding, so usually dh would have to take him out to the living room and the two of them would sleep on the couch. then at some point dh would just get him to fall back asleep in the room with us. it took awhile, though. you just have to push through it.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC