Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gagging

Default Gagging

Okay. I really know very little about feeding solids. I have read many of the links suggested on other threads and things but I wanted some clarification. My lo just turned 6 months old. I tried to give her some rice cereal mixed with breast milk and she thought it was nasty. She just gagged on it and made nasty faces. I then tried a mashed up bannana a couple of days later. She made a gagging face for this as well. I think that this means she is not ready yet for solids. She sits up well on her own and always wants my food but when I acctually let her try something she is not happy. So I am okay with waiting... Bf is easy I live in India and people start babies on solids here early so many of the ladies think I just don't know how to care for her correctly. I try to show them that she is 17 pounds and growing daily so there is no need to worry. The ladies will always try to feed her something because they just do that here. Anyways, I guess this is a long post to simply ask if waiting is okay...Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Gagging

hi there

my son is 8.5 months old. we started solids at 6 months and so far he is not interested. he will eat maybe a tablespoon or so of rice cereal, but he makes a yucky face for most anything else. It is nothing to be worried about, just keep offering your little one appropriate food choices and when she is ready, she will eat. I understand all about getting pressure from other people. the "what foods is he eating" question is always the first thing I hear from my parents and from my mother in law when they are around. I just do my best to let it roll off my back because I truly believe I am doing the best i can for my son. by the way my son always acts very "interested" in our food but i think what he is interested in is playing with it in his hands, not in eating it.

J

wow - she is 6 mo and 17 lb, I agree she is really thriving on breastmilk alone

If she is not interested, it is perfectly fine to wait a bit longer
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Our dd is a "gagger" as well. Let me just say, have your camera ready with some of the first foods, when your LO is interested. The second food we tried with dd was applesauce............. she opened her mouth, and acted like she wanted more.... but here is what the camera caught on "sequence of events" when she took her very first bite. She only did it one time, and I am glad that I had the camera...............LOL, the funny thing is.... you really can just go ahead and make your own "sound-effects" that go along with these pictures... cause we have all seen them do this before. Poor little thing.

I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

omg Jess that last one is priceless, like she's saying "what in g-ds name are you doing to me?"

gotta share one of my favs This one was the inital taste, then followed by the "shudder" then the gag... toooo funny

Last edited by Number3; April 12th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yup those pics look all too familiar

LOL.... well, at least your LO induced his own, I was "mean-ole-mama" for giving her such a thing that was not breast milk! How dare I!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Our daughter is two weeks shy of a year old.... She takes it one step further -- gags then throws up. I exclusively pump and am really getting antsy to cut back on the 6 times per day that I pump. I think my LO knows this so she refuses to eat solids. We continue to offer a variety of textures and types of foods to no avail. She continues to gain weight on exclusively BM so I'm not going to worry.

Someone the other day said the greatest thing... "Well, you never meet a 40 year old who never learned to eat...So, she'll learn eventually". I loved it as it is very true.

P.S. Thanks for including the photos.... They were adorable!

Smile Re: Gagging

My DS is almost 8 mos and has no interest in eating either. He thinks he does until it is in his mouth. All the pics look familiar to me too. I wouldn't worry, she sounds like she is growing well. I'd like to suggest that you pay attention to what the ladies are trying to feed her so that if she has an allergic reaction to something you'll know what it was. That could be an excuse as to why they shouldn't feed her, potential allergies.

Deb
    Tandem nursing, cloth diapering , co-sleeping mom to GRANT (Aug/07) LOGAN (Oct/05) and JUSTIN (Nov/95)

Thank you for all the pics and responses. It makes me feel much better. My husband thought I was being cruel when I tried to give her rice and she mad that horrible face. I will just keep letting her play with the food and see when she is ready. Also, dh finally yelled at my friends that are always trying to give her food. I think they get it now. And it is nice that he is the bad guy and not me