Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12.5 mo nursing strike

Unhappy 12.5 mo nursing strike

I am so sad ...Luke has refused to nurse since 5 am yesterday. I have been going back and forth about weaning him since he turned a year. Now that he is striking I dont know what to do. I have been pumping and offering him my milk in a sippy cup and he drinks is all up. So its not the milk. When I get him in the nursing position or even start to he screams and gets mad. I tried nursing him laying down this morning and that didnt work either. I've offered alot since he started striking but he wants nothing to do with it. I am really sad about it but at the same time am thinking I might want to take advantage of it and let it be weaning. I have a good bit of frozen milk left that I can continue to give him in a sippy and mix with whole milk to get him to transition. He didnt like whole milk at first but maybe mixed will help. I'm also wanting to get pregnant and still havent gotten my period so I know weaning will help with that too. I dont want to coax him back to the breast if he's perfectly content without it, but if he wants it I dont mind continuing to nurse for a while. I'm wondering how much longer I should keep offering. Its just so bittersweet.

Default Re: 12.5 mo nursing strike

Is he teething or does he maybe have an ear infection? My son has reacted that way when the actual suction of nursing brings pain...ie:teething.

Just an idea.

I'd keep offering/pumping if he refuses for a few days. Then, if he's still done, so be it. Maybe it's just God's little way of making sure you get that 2nd baby sooner?

Either way, you've BF him a good long time, way to go Momma!!!

DS went on a 10 day strike at 17 months (not complete, but nearly so--he would only nurse when asleep after the first couple of days of refusing that, too) and I thought he was relatively happy during this time and wondered if he might be weaning, but when it was over with, he came back and was a much happier boy again. I really noticed the difference. I also realized I wasn't ready to wean even though I had been entertaining those thoughts. After the first couple of days of expressing for comfort, I just let my supply go. When he started nursing again, it came right back up. If your instincts tell you it's a strike, it probably is, so keep offering.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

He still is refusing to nurse. We are on day three. It has all the signs of a strike however, I've pretty much decided that we are done. I am ok with it and kind of happy even. Dont get me wrong, I love nursing and will miss it but I think I am ready for this new chapter. I appreciate all the help from everyone on here and know that without it we wouldnt have made it this far. I am definitely looking forward to nursing the next one and having a little more confidence with it. Thanks again!