Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: im about to go crazy

Default Re: im about to go crazy

It sounds like an idea to explore in greater detail with your dr. Have you guys talked about it yet? How do you feel about it? What did he say?

I understand how this must come as a real let down for you. You worked your way to trusting your body, and yet things are not going the way you would like them too. It's really hard to say what going on, some breastfeeding relationships are harder to work out. The main thing here is that you are able to breastfeed your baby, to hold her close and nurture her. If you need to take medication to boost your milk production or supplement it does not mean that you have failed to be a wonderful mother to your daughter. You have really exhausted every avenue so far as I can tell from past reading!

Remember that the rule of thumb is feed the baby!

I have heard of checking prolactin levels and if they are fine then pumping and putting baby to the breast more is all necessary. But if prolactin is low then reglan can be helpful. Does this sound right? and which doc would i see for this my primary or my ob?

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

All I can add here is you've been so determined and I applaude you for that

Also - when my older kids were, well - younger, the weight was always checked and charted properly, but with a squirmy baby, different nurses, different days etc - their length could fluctuate and the doc never really worried about it... even the one time the nurse said DD had shrunk :rolleyes
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I don't think you are failing. And it doesn't sound like her Pediatrician who wanted her baby to gain two lbs a month is being very helpful or supportive. As long as her child is gaining and is consistently on the same curve, I think she is doing fine. Yes you could skim the top of pumped milk snf feed extra milk fat, but not all babies get big and fat. This is not the only way we measure success of breastfeeding or a "Healthy" child.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I don't think you are failing. And it doesn't sound like her Pediatrician who wanted her baby to gain two lbs a month is being very helpful or supportive. As long as her child is gaining and is consistently on the same curve, I think she is doing fine. Yes you could skim the top of pumped milk snf feed extra milk fat, but not all babies get big and fat. This is not the only way we measure success of breastfeeding or a "Healthy" child.
    Any pedi with that kind of "regulation" or expectaion is not being realistic.
    I mean when would he expect that rate of growth to stop???

How realistic would it be fore you to go to SLO to find a new pedi? Or another larger city that is close????
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

MY options are way open for something like that, even for a one time visit to get a second opinion. Do you have any particular in mind? Im 2 and a half hours away from san luis and 2 from fresno and about 2 from LA so im in the middle of just about everything

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!

Finding a Dr that is supportive of breastfeeding is going to be important to your success. Thats a great Idea. You have worked through many obstacles here, and a Dr with some experience may need to comb over the details with you to make sure nothing was missed. I think having some tests run on yourself is another really smart idea. Cover all your bases!

Quote Originally Posted by nina29 View Post
    MY options are way open for something like that, even for a one time visit to get a second opinion. Do you have any particular in mind? Im 2 and a half hours away from san luis and 2 from fresno and about 2 from LA so im in the middle of just about everything
    Well I sure do really wish I did... but I'm 2 hours from LA, in the other direction Did you ever get a chance to go to the closest LLL meeting? The leaders can't give rec's on docs but the moms sure can

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

no havent had a chance to i know i could use some support. there is a breastfeeding support class on monday and theres supposed to be a IBCLC there who is supposed to help me, the wic nutritionist gave her a heads up on my situation and so she knows. not LLL thoughbut ill give it a shot.

How do YOU feel about the growth? What is your dd doing with regards to milestones (ie, physical development)? I know its young, but is she holding her head up? Looking around? Starting to focus on stuff? How many wet diapers a day? Is she satisfied with what she's getting nursing? How is her sleep? How often does she nurse? Is she following a curve at all? Have you charted growth on the WHO breastfed baby charts? While it certainly pays to watch their weight, there are other things that measure development, even at a young age.

It would really help you to find a LLL group or some other breastfeeding mothers, just for IRL hugs.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes