Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: im about to go crazy

Default im about to go crazy

okay weighed my lo yesterday, she went from 10.9 to 11.1 and she hasnt grown length wise. I dont want to give up but OMG what is going on? her lowest weight was 7.12 and shes four months now to me that seems okay and wic expects less than her ped, wic wants her to gain 1 pound a month.Ped wants two. So now the wic people dont think shes gaining enough.I thought i would ask you ladies what you think about this .... well she the nutritionist told me to pump and feed her the fatty part of milk that seperates so she can get the hindmilk so what do think ?

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

Default Re: im about to go crazy

If your lo has been consistent in her weight gain up until now then its probably just a temporary setback. Has she had a bug or sickness recently? Babies can lose weight really quickly when they are sick, and that could make it look like she hasn't been gaining. Or if she is becoming more mobile, rolling over, scooting, etc then that could also explain the slow down in weight gain.

Does your lo nurse until your breasts feel empty? If she does than pumping shouldn't be necessary. You might also want to try offering the breast more frequently even if your lo is not acting hungry. Some babies are more interested in observing and playing than food, and need to be reminded to eat. Cosleeping, if you aren't already, is another good way to encourage more frequent nursing.

Good luck and try not to let those people scare you. Every baby is different.

my lo had slow weight gain and I was going nuts in the beginning too esp. with everyone pushing me to supplement. My ped was not as concerned b/c dd was healthy and developmentally on target. Everything changed when I started to co-sleep. I stopped having horrible breast problems (mastitis, constant plugged ducts) and dd was getting really chunky and then she started solids at around 7 months and since then has been permanently rotund. If you're not against it, try cosleeping. Otherwise, feed more often and a little pumping wouldn't hurt (just time consuming).

I think i would try the suggestion of your nutritionist for a bit and see what happens. The dr. and mother ideally are a team that strives to reach goals together.

I think general guidelines state that a weight gain of 4 oz. a week is on track. That being said, all babies are different! But if you do the math, 1 pound a month is 4 oz. a week. It sounds like your LO has gained 4 lbs. in 4 months, which seems right. I think slowdowns and plateaus are normal, and bf babies are slower gainers. As long as your LO is healthy and developmentally on track, there isn't a problem! the sad fact is that a lot of pediatricians are NOT well educated about the breastfeeding process and push supplementing more than they should (well, the formula companies pay and give free samples...). Go with your gut and your LO's cues.

Actually as low as 3.5 oz a week is still in the range of normal. And please remember that Breast fed children's weight gain should not be compared to FF kids. All weight gain is NOT good. I know people are taught to believe that. But all children are different and should be allowed to grow at the rate that is right for them. Some people are just never fat. We aren't mad at them for that when they are grown. Why should we worry about it when they are babies? If your child IS gaining consistently on her own curve, I would NOT worry and NOT supplement AT ALL. Your doing fine. Don't let your doctors ignorance and belief that what the Formula reps tell them is somehow Akin to real education undermine your confidence at as a mother.

Way too lazy for formula

I do agree with Shelly in principal, but if you look at overall growth (and I note you stated there was a lack of growth in body measurement) it is important to put everything into perspective. In some baby's they get enough milk to remain hydrated, but not enough to really grow. I wouldn't want that to be the case here.

how often in 24 hours is she nursing? Some older babies still need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours.
    what about wet diapars?
    Sometimes they can make mistakes when measuring and weighting.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

are you giving any solids?
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; April 10th, 2008 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nina29 View Post
    okay weighed my lo yesterday, she went from 10.9 to 11.1 and she hasnt grown length wise. I dont want to give up but OMG what is going on? her lowest weight was 7.12 and shes four months now to me that seems okay and wic expects less than her ped, wic wants her to gain 1 pound a month.Ped wants two. So now the wic people dont think shes gaining enough.I thought i would ask you ladies what you think about this .... well she the nutritionist told me to pump and feed her the fatty part of milk that seperates so she can get the hindmilk so what do think ?

When was the weigh in before this (10 lbs 9 oz)?

I remember that your baby started out gaining slowly. Would it be possible to run through those numbers again? Could you please give us weight and length measurements from birth?
    Birth
    weight before discharge (if known)
    first appointment weight and measurement (if you have it)
    Then weight and measurement from each consecutive visit

As for pumping and supplementing extra hindmilk, there is certainly no harm in trying it. Are you still using breast compressions while nursing, as well?

Smile Re: im about to go crazy

birth weight 8.12 length 20 in head circumference 13
    5 days 7.12 length 21
    2 weeks 8.2 length 21
    3 weeks 8.2 length 24 head circumference 14.5
    4 weeks 8.1 length 24
    5 weeks 8.5 length 24
    6 weeks 8.11 after supplmenting length 24
    8 1/2 wks 9.9 no supplements in between length24
    3 mon. 10.9 length 24
    4 mon. 11.1 length 24

we do co sleep
    and no solids as of yet
    still doing breast compressions, taking fenugreek and blessed thistle,
    do you think its time to try Reglan?
    Last edited by nina29; April 10th, 2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: wanted to ad...

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert