Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen Milk question

Default Frozen Milk question

I have several recipes for things to make with EBM, but my question is this. I have heard several different ideas on how long you can keep milk frozen in a deep freezer without it going bad. I figured this was the best place to get the right answer! I have heard 3 mo, 6 mo, and 8-9 mo. What is the right answer?

Some of my milk might be expired, some milk might have a month or so to go. I just need to figure out what to do here.

ALSO: If the milk is "expired" does that mean it's no good or does that just mean it doesn't have as much nutritional value? That probably sounds stupid but I am wondering if I can still use it for thinning food at the table for my baby or if it is just all together bad. I would hate to throw it if it can still be used ya know? Liquid Gold is hard to come by!

Default Re: Frozen Milk question

The info with my pump says that the milk is good in a deep freezer for 9 months.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html
    I don't think that its all togther bad but like most foods that are frozen its just not as good quality as fresh milk.
    and it depends on how you have the milk stored in the freezer.
    the less air out of the bag the beter so it doesn't get freezer burn.

Thanks to all who responded. I have all of my milk in Gerber bags with no air, and then those bags in freezer bags in the bottom of the deep freezer.

Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate it. I will check the links out also!