Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: block feeding questions

Default block feeding questions

My LO is 3 and a half weeks. I have OS and OALD, and has a first time mommy it has been really difficult to deal with. I had no idea that this could ever be a problem! My LO crys a lot both on and off the breast, her latch isn't the best (lots of sucking sounds and breaks suction throughout), she wants to comfort suck a lot but the breast doesn't seem very comforting.

I am trying to get the hang of block feeding to make my supply a little more managable for her. As of now I am feeding for 2 to 3 feeds on one side before switching to the other. This seems easier than watching the time to figure out what time I started on a side and how many hours after to switch. So does this mean I am probably not doing it right? Should I watch the clock a little better. I don't think I have noticed much change in my milk production. If I decide to stay on the right side for 3 hours and she has 3-4 feedings on the right within this block of time (her feedings are pretty short), but then the next 3 hours she only feeds once on the left...do I still go back to the right side?? Her feedings are all over the place. Sometimes she has short and very frequent nursing sessions...some times they are a little more spaced out. This is why I usually keep her on one side for 2 to 3 feedings in a row without watching the time. Any thoughts?
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: block feeding questions

Hi ,

It can take a while for block feeding to work (how long have you been block feeding?).

Breastfed babies do tend to feed erratically, especially during the early weeks. If you don't like to watch the clock, you might find it easier to keep track of how your breasts are feeling. This works well for some mothers. Basically, you feed baby on one breast for a few feedings, and when the other breast starts to feel uncomfortably full, you switch. You want to be careful with this though, for a couple of reasons. First of all, if you don't allow your breast to become full enough, your body won't be sent the message to slow down production. On the other hand, if you wait too long, you could develop plugged ducts. Somewhere in the middle is best.

While you are getting the hang of block feeding, it might be helpful to time your blocks, at least for a couple of days.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

Thanks for your suggestion. How do I know how long to block time? My breasts become uncomfortably engorged within 2 hours of no feedings at night, but can go almost 6 hours during the day. But she feeds so spuratically right now...sometimes she even clusters her feedings every hour. I am so confused with how to do this To add, my breasts become so engorged at night I am really nervous I am going to get a plugged duct.

To add, my LO has not had a green stool yet! They are orange/yellow and seedy, but very very explosive and a little gassy. So we don't have any foremilk/hindmilk imbalance right?
    Last night I was block feeding and this is what happened...Fed on the Right side around 1230a and 230a then over to the left side for her 4a and 630a feeding, but by 630 I was having weird pains every few seconds in my right breast...it was really engorged. I removed my bra pad to see if there were any red marks (none seen) and milk just started spraying. I put the pad back on and fell back asleep...i was too tired to get up and hand express at that time, but what little milk came out actually relieved the pain I was having. However today my right side is pretty tender. Any thoughts? Should I try not to go for such a long stretch at night block feeding??? Not sure if that will make this better or worse. I know I make more milk at night...is that common, not sure how to deal with it.
    Last edited by Kelmarsol; April 10th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Quote Originally Posted by Kelmarsol View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. How do I know how long to block time? My breasts become uncomfortably engorged within 2 hours of no feedings at night, but can go almost 6 hours during the day. But she feeds so spuratically right now...sometimes she even clusters her feedings every hour. I am so confused with how to do this To add, my breasts become so engorged at night I am really nervous I am going to get a plugged duct.
    You could try 6 hour blocks for now to see how it goes. If you feel engorged at night, try hand expressing, just a little, until you are comfortable.

To add, my LO has not had a green stool yet! They are orange/yellow and seedy, but very very explosive and a little gassy. So we don't have any foremilk/hindmilk imbalance right?
    Probably not.

Last night I was block feeding and this is what happened...Fed on the Right side around 1230a and 230a then over to the left side for her 4a and 630a feeding, but by 630 I was having weird pains every few seconds in my right breast...it was really engorged. I removed my bra pad to see if there were any red marks (none seen) and milk just started spraying. I put the pad back on and fell back asleep...i was too tired to get up and hand express at that time, but what little milk came out actually relieved the pain I was having.
    You could try keeping a cloth diaper or towel in bed with you to catch the spray. Hand expressing a little on the other side while baby nurses is a good way to help you avoid becoming too engorged.

However today my right side is pretty tender. Any thoughts? Should I try not to go for such a long stretch at night block feeding??? Not sure if that will make this better or worse. I know I make more milk at night...is that common, not sure how to deal with it.
    Keep track of the tender breast over the next couple of days. If you feel you are getting a plugged duct, you will want to nurse more often on that side, gently massaging the tender spot as you nurse. Try to stick with the block feeding as much as possible without getting a plug.

HTH. Keep me posted.

Tiana