Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tell me why! Can't I have a bf doctor!!!!

Default Tell me why! Can't I have a bf doctor!!!!

Today was my ds 9 mo well child visit. And guess what. They are now "watching my son's weight". He's 16 pounds 1 ounce. AND!!!!!!!! He isn't obese, his height is good, head circ. good, is achieving all fine and gross motor milestones, he claps his hands, tosses a ball back and forth with us, waves "hi". I mean come on. What else do they want. The growth chart was even provided by the great formula company. I don't like this. Any suggestions on how to handle this.
    June 29, 2007 First day of motherhood to my son.

Default Re: Tell me why! Can't I have a bf doctor!!!!

At least you know better. Some poor Mamas don't. One of the nurses at my ped's office goes nuts cause I won't let her weigh my 2 yr old every time we go in....she seriously is having a tough time processing, "no."

DD was going in frequently with ear infections and does not like getting on the scale.

Anyway...I'm going OT. Tell them that you know that breastfed babies aren't always as plump as their FF counterparts and you are not concerned in the least. Let them know that you are confident that your body is doing what it was designed to do and that your child is fine!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I wouldn't know how to 'handle' it, just have confidence in what a good thing you have! Its kinda funny, cause I have had three kids and the first two were FF and skinny as could be. My last LO is now 5 months and is WAY bigger than my fist two. She is EBF. My mom says that I have steroids in my milkers! whats wrong with being average? I like Nolamomma's advice... not let them take your LO weight... you know your baby is ok by looking at him, and the out put. It sounds like you your LO is doing super!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Don't forget that you CAN have a Bf-friendly doctor. You hire your doctor, you can fire him/her. If you are going to stay in your area for awhile, it wouldn't hurt to find someone who aligns with your beliefs and goals for your child's health.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Don't forget that you CAN have a Bf-friendly doctor. You hire your doctor, you can fire him/her. If you are going to stay in your area for awhile, it wouldn't hurt to find someone who aligns with your beliefs and goals for your child's health.
    There is only 1 ped office in my area. I did fire them because they feel $$ is more important than the dc. I now take my lo to a family dr. I don't know if they are pro-bf or not. I do get my lo's shots and I don't think the FP does that. I am not sure what I will do when the time comes for more shots.

Just trying to say it isn't always easy to get another dr.

This same exact thing is happening to me with my 7 month old! He weighs 15 pounds 2 oz and the ped wants to see him again in 4 weeks to check his weight because "he's going off the charts". However he is in the 95% for height so obviously he's growing. She even mentioned that we may need to supplement with formula because "some women's breastmilk doesn't provide enough calories after 6 months"!!?? WTH?

same thing happened at my dd's 9 month visit. She was 16 lbs 10 oz and the doc told me I was nursing her to much and that I needed to cut down to 3-4 nursing sessions and lots of baby food.. she won't baby food ( only table food) I said whatever!!!!! I am switching docs. Oh yeah... and the ped told me that my milk changes and isn't as good anymore. ITs more water now... RIGHT.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My 10 month old LO is over 20 lbs. Our ped is extremely pro bf! Makes things a whole lot easier and he has never said a thing about her weight! Try a new doc

Cool Re: Tell me why! Can't I have a bf doctor!!!!

LMAO, my son is 13 weeks, and he is 15 lbs, 8 oz, and all the doctor had to say was, he's not pooing much is he? His little body is absorbing all he can! He's in the 95th percentile, you'll have to get a new carseat soon!

In other words, my kid is a chub, and I'm doing a great job feeding him!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

I'm sorry, I am astounded by the mis information some doctors give out!
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.