Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

I have solely breastfed my two month old daughter and I have recently returned to work. I am having two problems:
    1) on one side, I can only get 1 1/2 ounces no matter how long I pump and I can feed her on that side and she can get enough to eat but I can't seem to get enough when pumping. and
    2) I am not bringing home as much milk as my daughter is eating while I am at work.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I would like to continue breastfeeding for as long as possible and I am afraid that these issues are going to force me to stop before I want to.

Default Re: Help!!!

Hi ccampbell... What kind of pump are you using??? is a double pump??? how many times in a 24 hr cicle are you pumping?? and for how long how you been pumping???

I am asking all this cause pumping sometimes requires practice to get better, and a double pump will reduce the time of pumping as stimulate in a better way the homone named "Prolactin" which is responsable for the milk production.... Also, to keep a good supplu you will need to pump at least 8 times in a 24 hour cicle.... may be every 2-3 hours....

I have been pumping five to six times daily along with feeding her when she is awake and when I am home. I usually pump about 30 minutes. I can always get about 3 ounces out of the right side but only 1 1/2 out of the left.

Also, I have a Medela electric double pump

You definitely must have a good pump-that's key. I also found that pumping on one side while nursing on the other produced the best results. Try letting one breast get full then feeding on the other side while pumping the full one. Also it helped me if I brought a picture of my little one to look at while I pumped and something that smelled like them. I usually kept a onesie in my pump case. Take a few minutes to relax and breathe in their smell and look at the picture before beginning to pump. Your let down will be stronger and you'll have better results.

Three things can help you get more from pumping.

1) rent a hospital grade pump and be sure to double pump

2) increase # of breastfeeding sessions- this will help boost supply overall- cosleeping will allow baby to eat more frequently while you get rest!

3) drink water, water, water and if needed, take fenugreek caps or mother's milk tea

I found my pumping yield went up when I did these things.

HTH!