Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm new...and already have a question

Smile I'm new...and already have a question

Hello!
    I am 32 weeks pregnant with my first baby and am very excited and intimidated about the idea of breastfeeding. I am very glad to find this message board!

So...even though I obviously haven't started breastfeeding yet, I do have a question about colostrum. I noticed this past week that I can express a small amount. Today, when I tried again I found that the colostrum that came out of my right breast had a pinkish tinge to it out of one area of my nipple.

Just wanted to know if this is something normal or if I am already experiencing my first breastfeeding issue!

Any info and advice is helpful!

Thanks!

Default Re: I'm new...and already have a question

Are your nipples dry or cracked? It could just be a tad bit of blood from that.
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

Nope...no dryness or cracking at all.
    From what I can tell it seems to be coming pink from inside...does that make any sense?

Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

I am not sure but I would mention it to you OB to have them take a look. I would not encourage it by expressing it. Do you leak other wise or only when you express do you get anything.... If it leaks is it pinkish or only when you express?
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

I would mention it at your next OB visit too as pp said.
    On another note, I think it is great that you are getting used to this forum before your LO arrives. Best of luck!
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

You might mention it to your OB but I would not be too worried about it. A lactation consultant or your local LLL leader would probably actually be a better person to ask.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

What you're experiencing sounds a lot like Rusty-pipe syndrome. This is a common condition, especially for first-time moms, in which the rapid changes underway in your breasts provoke minor internal bleeding. While most moms with rusty-pipe usually don't notice it until after their babies are born, some moms notice blood in their colostrum early on in pregnancy.

Rusty-pipe syndrome is both painless and harmless to mother and baby, and should not affect your chances of successful breastfeeding in any way. If you're getting freaked out by the blood, remember: it only takes a teeny-tiny amount of blood to tint your milk or colostrum an alarming color!

Smile Re: I'm new...and already have a question

Thanks so much for your replies ladies!
    I will definitely mention it to my ob next visit (which is Monday so not too long to worry for nothing).

I have not had any leaking, but happened to express some colostrum while practicing the technique (I was quite surprised it actually worked!). I am not making it a habit or anything, so maybe it will be something that goes away in time for my baby to do the real work!

Again, I really appreciate your offering advice. I recently had to move away from my family and baby-bearing friends so finding such a helpful website is a real stress reliever! That, and not having been a breastfed baby myself, there isn't a lot of family experience to draw from!

Thanks again!

welcome to the forums!