Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: They are coming!

Arrow They are coming!

The teeth are! He cut his first tooth yesterday. Well he has been nursing alot the past 5 days or so and I guess this is why. Since he has been feeding so much I thought my supply would go up, but it seems to have gone down. I am getting at least a half ounce less every time I pump. I thought that the more the suck the more you produce? Does this make sense to anyone?

oh yeah, forgot to mention that is is slightly painful when he is nursing now. not really bad, but still kinda painful. Could it be that his latch has changed because of the tooth.

Thanks ladies.

Default Re: They are coming!

Teeth!!

About your pumping output going down, have you checked all parts for wear? Your right that more nursing usually equals more milk!

when teeth are coming it's often time to reevaluate the latch. A WIDE deep latch is important - make sure he's getting a lot of breast!
    You might offer a cold rag or something to teeth on before you nurse, might help him keep from sliding down on the nipple to teeth on you!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks. I didn't even think of that...his latch has been sloppy. How do I correct it though? We have never had an issue with his latch so I'm not really sure what I need to do to fix it. Do I just re-latch him?

Yep, you can just take him off and try again. A lot of times older babies will slide off because they are heavy, so you might need to approach positioning different than you are now.
    You can try this say to him "say AHHHH for mommy, open wide!" and show him what you want him to do (make sure your sticking your tongue out). Shaping the breast to the shape of his mouth - so if his mouth is vertical to your breast (like in a cradle hold) you use your hand in a U shape. If his mouth is horizontal to your breast (in a football hold) then you use your hand in a C shape.
    This is so you make your breast wide the same way his mouth is wide.
    It sounds sort of complicated when all typed out like that, but it's very simple to do.

HTH!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!