Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I make my own babyfood?

Default How do I make my own babyfood?

I don't have much time to search through this thread for an answer that I am sure is there, but my 5 mo DD is ready to eat. I swear she looks like she is going to jump up and grab my food! So I want to start feeding her some baby food but with all of the allergies out there I am soooo scared. I heard no rice cereal so I don't know if I should follow that or not. I decided to just start to make my own baby food. Any suggestions on how to make it. I heard when you cook the vegetables it takes out all the good nutrition so should I not do that? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: How do I make my own babyfood?

Steaming veggies helps to retain their nutrients since they aren't sitting in a bath of water. You can cook veggies until soft, mix up in blender, food processor or foodmill and add liquid until the consistency you want-BM or water (if you boil veggies use some that water to put nutrients back in). Soft fruits like banana and avacado are easy to mash up. You can cook in batches, freeze cubes of veggies in an ice cube tray then pop out and store in a freezer bag. Defrost in refrigerator by taking out of the freezer how many cubes you think baby will eat that day first thing in the morning.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

heres a good web site to start with...

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; April 9th, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: for got the link