Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump & dump?

Exclamation pump & dump?

hi ladies,

been lurking around here for a while, now i have a question that is somewhat urgent.

tomorrow (thurs) i am having a CT scan. because of the iodine, they recommend pumping and dumping the first 8oz after the procedure. that's fine & great, but my LO (nearly 5 mo. old) won't take a bottle, so he's basically going to miss a feeding?? what should i dooooo?

i do have about 5 oz in the freezer, so maybe i could just syringe it in his hungry little mouth to tide him over til i've pumped all 8 oz? tho, i've tried that before as well, and he wasn't having it... forcing him seems cruel, but what other choices do i have?

please help!

Default Re: pump & dump?

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/radioisotopes.html

ive never heard pump and dump the 1st 8 oz before....
    do you know the kind of die?

Will he take a bottle from someone other than you? You could either spoon or syringe feed him. If he's hungry enough, he will take something. If he's not hungry enough to take another form, I guess just wait until you can nurse again. Maybe cluster feed the morning before the procedure to get him really good and full.

thanks for the link, that article was great.

they have given me (3) 450mL bottles of barium sulfate to drink before, and said they are also using iodine in an IV when i get there. the radiology tech told me the barium is safe for BF, but the iodine is the problem. so, kellymom says that it's not an issue and even if it was that you could freeze the pump and not dump it, and then eventually it would be good to use... dunno. need to think about that.

i guess i was thinking i would fill him up good in the morning (if i can...he doesn't eat as well in the morning anyway) and then he would take the syringe if he really was truly hungry... i give him medication that way, so i think i could give him milk that way, yes?

i think i'm just having a little anxiety about thinking i am unable to feed my child for a certain amount of time, even tho it's a small amount of time.

or a spoon might work.
    He might just take a bottle form somebody esle if your not arround.

Dr. Hale is a leading expert on medications while bfing and he has this chart on his website and said it is accurate. You might print it off and take it with you to look at with your radiologist. http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/radioactive.pdf
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I had a scan where I had an iv w/ idodine also. I didn't get a chance to prepare and I was having problems had to go to ER and didn't know anything until they were doing it and then I was told (as they were giving it to me) that if I was bf to pump and dump for 24 hours. I was a little stressed because I didnt' have enough backup for 24 hours. I also had a nurse tell me that if it was a matter of 1 or 2 feedings I didn't have enough for that I could supplement w/ pedialite (wasnt' sure of that). I of course called one of my local ll leaders and was I was told it wasn't necessary to pump and dump for 24 hours. I did pump and dump for that night and then noon the next day I nursed. My LO was fine. So I went about 16 hours w/out nursing! My LO would not take a bottle from me at all, in fact my dh had to be in a complete diffent room from me before my dd would take a bottle. (she was used to bottles - she used them at dc). I think sometimes that radioligists are told to tell us to pump & dump for 24 hours . I was also told by one when having another procedure to do the same, the doctor told me that what he was giving me was perfectly safe for baby but if I really wanted to waste the liquid gold I could.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

thanks for the replies ladies

i called my lactation consultant y'day, and she said that with barium and the kind of iodine they used in my IV (diff. kinds, i guess) that pump & dump wasn't neccessary. woo hoo! which of course differs from what the radiologist says, 8 oz or 15 hrs. hmmph.

so i went to have it done, came home and thought i might p&d a little just to be safe and tried, really tried, to use a bottle with frozen BM, tried a syringe, a spoon, a small child's cup...everything. this kid was not having it. so i took my LC's advice and just fed him normally.

i know she's right, but there's a nagging small tiny voice in the back of my head that says "what if?".

but i'm sure he's fine his belly's full and he's happy.
    thanks again for all the advice.

~carol

May I ask a related question?

I supplement iodine in my diet. What is different about the iodine that was (or may have been) used for this test?