Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing A Bottle To 10mo

Question Introducing A Bottle To 10mo

Anyone have any tips on how to substitute BF with a bottle feeding?

DD is 10MO, and I have dropped from 6 to 5 BF/day (in addition to 3 meals/day), but her fluid intake hasn't increased, so I don't want to drop another BF yet (my plan is to go down to 3BF/day before I return to work in June).

I've tried diluted juice and water, and am considering formula (hypoallergenic), but only succeed in getting about 40ml/meal (3 times/day), and this with a lot of gentle pushing (very frustrating for DD and I!).

DD has never been offered a bottle with a nipple, and I'd prefer to bypass the bottle with nipple altogether. I've been using an Advent Magic Cup with the stopper removed for a couple of months (DD hasn't figured out the sucking motion required when the silicone disc is in place).

Any tips/advice? Many thanks!

Default Re: Introducing A Bottle To 10mo

Maybe you could just use a cup or cup with a straw. At 10 months it might be a bit of a mess but before long your LO will be a pro at it.

You might get some more assistance in the Weaning forum.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I wouldn't do a bottle with a 10 month old. At that point, my babies are using cups, either one with a straw or a Nuby cup, which is more like nursing, or even just a plain ole' cup. Both my babies had trouble with Advent cups.

Perhaps pumping and putting some in a cup would be more to your LO's liking and make the transition easier.

It is very possible that while the number of feedings is decreasing, your LO is getting more at each nursing because they get more efficient at nursing as time goes by, KWIM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree that going straight to a regular cup would probably work better.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Hi, I tried the bottle at 10 months with no luck. My lo just played with it. I had great sucess with a straw cup. My lo loves it and doesnt have to tilt the cup up to get anything.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Try the sippy cup w/ the straw- mine picked it up very quickly at about 9 months and takes it a lot easier than a sippy cup. There are lots of different brands to try- we have a playtex one and a nuby one and he loves both.

I wouldn't bother worrying about a bottle at 10 MO.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. We'll give the Nuby a try, with a straw. I have tried a cup (more ends up on the outside than the inside , and DH has a lot of luck this way. I was just hoping to make use of ALL of those Advent bottles that we didn't have to use b/c DD was/is such a good BF!