Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sufficient weight gain?

Exclamation Sufficient weight gain?

My baby was born on Feb 28 2008. He was 8 lb 4 oz 21 inches long at birth. He had no interest with eating the first 3 days, however, I did nurse him 30 minutes after he was born and regularly after that but for the most part he latched on and slept. Now, he is 6 weeks and has a very good appetite, but his pediatrician has been telling me since he was 1 week old that I need to supplement (I haven't). Because of the insurance I have, I cannot seek a second opinion without her referral, so I am wondering if his weight gain is ok, or if I maybe should supplement. Here is his weight gain for the first 5 weeks...
    Birth 8/4
    5days 7/4
    9days 7/8
    3weeks 8/2
    4weeks 8/8
    5weeks 8/13

He has 6 - 8 VERY wet diapers per day and now at 6 weeks has a bowel movement every 2 days.

Default Re: Sufficient weight gain?

It looks like you lo has been gaining 5-6 oz/week for the past few weeks, which is in the normal range. Does your dr say how much he would like to see your lo gaining? Here's some info about what's normal. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Default Re: Sufficient weight gain?

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    It looks like you lo has been gaining 5-6 oz/week for the past few weeks, which is in the normal range. Does your dr say how much he would like to see your lo gaining? Here's some info about what's normal. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html
    The Dr said he has to gain an ounce per day.