Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another nipple question

Default Another nipple question

Hey all - I noticed the other question out here on the board - and have one that is similar ...

My nipples have been sore since practically the beginning (LO is 6 wks old tomorrow)

I started seeing a lactation consultant about 4 wks ago, and recently she noticed redness around the base of the nipples (she's not really looked at them prior to this - just happened to notice it in the course of latching). Anyhow - she had me pickup monistat, bacitracin, and cortaid to apply in thin layers on each nipple after feeding (Said its the same basic thing as all purpose nipple ointment).

This was about 5 days ago and they are finally feeling much better. The tip of the nipple though is still very sore/sensitive. just the tip. Nothing can touch it/rub against it - or it feels like someone running sandpaper across your skin.

It also looks different than it did before BF which I guess is to be expected - but can anyone confirm that this is normal and what they see?

I don't see anything on the surface of the nipple, but the colors of the (not sure what they are called) the little nodules where the milk comes out - are different. Some of them are absolutely clear, a couple are purple - others are the basic pink that you'd expect. Additionally, the color of the tips is white-ish - Frosted looking- like color has been drained from them.

So with all that info - is this just from normal use? I can feel LO rubbing her tongue on them when she nurses which doesn't feel good considering they are so sore.

I feel like I just cant find out if what is normal. I don't even want to try to filter through any search on the web for 'sore nipples' I can only imagine what that would bring up.

does it sound latch related? or is it normal? thoughts?

thank you!

Tina

Default Re: Another nipple question

It sounds like she might be blanching your nipple - is it misformed when you get done nursing? It's caused when baby compresses the nipple in her mouth.
    Here a non LLL link to more info - does this sound like it could be it?

Nipple blanching
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    It sounds like she might be blanching your nipple - is it misformed when you get done nursing? It's caused when baby compresses the nipple in her mouth.
    Here a non LLL link to more info - does this sound like it could be it?

Nipple blanching
    actually - yes i think this is the problem - thank you. Sometimes I do feel her clamp down and it hurts - and I also feel her rub her tongue over the surface which at this point feels like sandpaper on raw skin it's so sore.

I can't wait for the day when we can have a pain free nursing session. Some days are not so bad - others are worse.

It was really hard to figure out if the latch was good - it LOOKED ok - bottom lip curled etc - but - after reading that link that you posted and following it to the following link: http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstati...0&dept_id=3225 with the how-to-pics

I was able to see that we still don't have our latch down pat. Considering we are 6 weeks out I'm feeling a bit incompetent at the moment. We're just going to have to keep trying -

Thank you very much! do you think it is too late to get her to learn? i.e., since it's been so long do you think she's set in her ways and our latching is stuck where it is? I hope not!

Thank you again!

Tina
    Last edited by new_mom_39; April 13th, 2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed a typo

I'm glad that you may have found the problem!
    It's defiantly not too late, in fact you will find many times in your nursing career that you have to reevaluate and relearn latch techniques, during teething, when baby gets teeth, older babies often need a lesson every now and again.

Keep at it with her, if you know that she's latched on (or if it's painful for you) unlatch and work on getting something comfortable for you. Take a look at different positions if you are only using a couple right now, it might help you to get a more comfortable latch. Supporting the breast might be something to look at too, this can really make a difference sometimes. All this is explained more here, with pictures!

6 weeks is still early! One day nursing will be second nature for you guys
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!