Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Issue

Default Supply Issue

Hi all,

I have a 23 week old son who nurses very well. I am back at work so he has breastmilk via bottle at the sitter and nurses when at home. I pump three times a day at work.

I have been sick for a couple of days with a sinus infection. On Monday, my pumping supply was not affected. Yesterday I woke up with a knot in my right breast. I assumed it was a clogged duct and went through all of the protocol for treatment. I did not have my usual supply from either side when pumping. Logan nursed 4 times between last evening and this morning and seemed to get enough to eat.

Today, I am not pumping much at all from either side. The knot is gone from my right breast. I am concerned that I am losing my supply. Am I overreacting? I am on a nursing safe antibiotic and nasal spray for the sinus infection.

Thank you for all of your help!

Michelle

Default Re: Supply Issue

Has your baby's output (diapers) remained the same?

Yes, they have. The sitter is having to supplement with formula since I am not sending as much supply since this started.

Just a thought, I don't know what the nasal spray is that you're using, but I know that anything you use to "dry up" your sinuses could have the same effect on milk production. I read that, unfortunately, after taking antihistamines one time. I noticed that I pumped less the next day, but it didn't last long.

Also, just being sick can decrease milk production, but it should go back to normal once you're feeling better.

Try not to worry too much. Either way, things should be back to normal soon. Just keep your regular pumping schedule and nurse when you're with your son. Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07