Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to be allergic to applesauce?

Default Is it possible to be allergic to applesauce?

Ok, I know it's possible to be allergic to anything, but how likely is this? It has been almost 3 weeks since we started solids. She did great with bananas, great with rice cereal, but this week I've been giving applesauce and for the first time ever she has a moderately bad diaper rash. She also loves bananas and rice cereal and will gobble them up, but she looks disgusted when I feed her applesauce ... even though she still eats it (she likes to eat ). Her diaper rash does not look like an allergy diaper rash but more like a contact rash. But I get the feeling the poo is burning her bottom (and of course I change her diaper as soon as she poos and frequently otherwise and we use cloth diapers, etc., etc.). Is it possible to just be sensitive to the introduction of solids but not allergic to a specific food? I just wonder if the solids in general has changed the pH (or something) of the output and is just irritating to her skin. Does that make any sense at all ? I'm thinking I'll just back off the apples for now and reintroduce in a couple weeks? Would that be a good idea? I'm concerned about possibly creating an allergy if I introduce a food, take it away and then reintroduce it much later. Is that a valid concern? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: Is it possible to be allergic to applesauce?

I think fruit, in general, can cause diaper rash. I'm not 100% sure where I read this, though. I have no links handy...

I am allergic to apples. Not all apples - generally the red ones. It's very strange IMO. I get reactions in my mouth to them. It's called Oral Allergy Syndrome. So it is possible to have an allergy to them...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

or the corn syrup if its applesause with that added

No, it's just plain, organic apples. I am definitely going to stop giving them to her and see what happens. Thanks!

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte's Mommy View Post
    No, it's just plain, organic apples. I am definitely going to stop giving them to her and see what happens. Thanks!
    I'm allergic to my son's organic apples but not to the green non-organic apples that I generally eat.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I'm not sure what kind of apples they are (the jar doesn't say ... just says "tripled washed organic apples"). Do you think I should just wait a month or two and then reintroduce maybe another kind?

Still breastfeeding !

and !

I'm curious about whether your LO's rash cleared up when you cut out applesauce. My 7.5mo DD has never had a real diaper rash until today - and we fed her applesauce for the first time yesterday. (Her reaction to applesauce sounds just like your LO's, too - she thought it was yucky!)

I'm hoping it's just the applesauce and that the rash will clear up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte's Mommy View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of apples they are (the jar doesn't say ... just says "tripled washed organic apples"). Do you think I should just wait a month or two and then reintroduce maybe another kind?
    I was going to say this...I think I read somewhere that some reactions just mean they aren't ready for the food yet, not that they will forever be allergic, but you could talk to your pedi at next visit

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

My lo never had a diaper rash until she was about 7 mo, about a month after we introduced solids, but I didn't notice it being related to any certain foods... I just assumed it was the food itself changed the ph of the poop

my lo is not allergic to applesauce, but didn't like it either- until I put cinnamon on it- then she gobbled it up.