Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 hours between daytime feeds?

Default 4 hours between daytime feeds?

My LO is 3 months. Sometimes when I try to feed him every 2 hours or so, he fusses, bobs on and off, and finally spits up afterward! I don't nurse him down to nap because he is gassy, and doesn't sleep as well when I do that. However, he will sleep beyond the 3 hour mark from the start of his last feed. For example, he eats at 8:30 am, goes down for a nap at 10, and will sleep past 11:30 (the 3 hour mark) unless I wake him. I am not sure if I should wake him at the 3 hour mark? I would think that he would need the sleep and wake when ready to eat. However, when I do wake him at the 3 hour mark, he usually seems hungry enough to eat decently (sometimes he still fusses). I would think that a 3 month old would still need/want to eat every 2-3 hours during the day. He awakens 1-2 times per night, so he doesn't have days and nights confused. Is it OK for him to go 4 hours between some feeds? He is EBF, so formula isn't part of the equation. Any thoughts? His diaper output seems fine, and he is a high needs baby, so I guess he is content as he usually is ...just want to make sure I am not setting myself up for more night wakings or some other problems if I let him sleep. Is it more important for him to eat with a shorter nap or finish his nap first?

Default Re: 4 hours between daytime feeds?

Given diaper output is fine, and everything else seems normal to you, I would say that everything's going fine. My son is about the same age, has a similar night pattern to yours, and there are days when he goes quite a gap between feedings during the day. I just prepare for some serious cluster feeding in the late afternoon/ early evening on those days, which is fine, because typically that means when he goes to bed, he'll sleep til 3AM before waking up for another meal.

I just trust that he knows when he's hungry better than I do. After all, it's his body.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)