Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much solid food should a 9 month old be eating?

Default how much solid food should a 9 month old be eating?

should a 9 month old be on a nap schedule? my LO has been VERY SLOW to take to food, and he has a milk allergy, so we are adding solids VERY slowly. so far the only solids he's eating are a gerber first foods container and daycare and then rice cereal in the evening. he doesn't want to drink as much milk as usual at daycare either. so how do i know if he is eating enough solid foods? he also wakes up frequently at night, could it be b/c he is hungry? he always take the bottle (i pump exclusively so give EBM), but he is the type to take the bottle from me even when he's not hungry..... comfort eating if you will....

Default Re: how much solid food should a 9 month old be eating?

Its fine if your lo doesnt eat much solids. Some babies don't till after a year. As long as you are still nursing on demand then its fine. Your milk will be the bulk of the nutrition and solids are for learning about taste and texture etc. If he isn't drinking as much milk at daycare he may be making it up at night. At 9 months lots of babies are to distracted by everything to settle down and eat much.
    As far as the nap routine goes. You lo should have regular naps daily.... as long as that happens I think you are all set. My lo isn't on a sch per say.. she naps twice a day.. once around 9 or 10 am and once around 1 or 2.. I just put her down when she gets tired.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

my lo will be 9 mo on the 12th. I pump while I am at work so she has the wonderful mommy milk during the day & she also has a vegetable and fruit at the dc for lunch. She also has her cereal during the day there. At home in the evenings I have been trying to give her a veggie & fruit also, or she will just eat some of my plate. She thinks she has to have what mommy's having. I have been trying to sometimes take some of mine and run it throught the blender for her. She doesn't have any teeth so some things are hard for her to have. But what I really wanted to tell you is that I just went through her not taking much milk during the day, she would nurse normally in evening until bed time, then she was up all night to nurse - not comfort nursing ~ EATING like crazy but she is finally starting to take more during the day and not waking up every 40 min to every hour at night to eat! It does get better. As far as naps, we are not on a schedule, my LO does not like to nap. She will nap in morning at dc but rarely in afternoon !
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

your baby sounds much like mine. he wakes up about every hour at night. he eats almost all night long. and then his reflux gets worse. it is hard. my LO doesn't seem to like to nap much either.

Smile Re: how much solid food should a 9 month old be eating?

This is my first time to post and, rather ironically, I found this thread tonight. I was going to ask myself how much solid food a 9-month old should be eating also! Maybe some of the people who helped the first poster can give me some advice as well.

My baby is a week and a half shy of 9 months old. Per the recommendation of my pedi, my baby has progressed to eating baby food at breakfast (some cereal and fruit), lunch (a baby food dinner jar with meat), and dinnertime (normally some meat I have made and a veggie). Since I am back to work, he gets bottles during the day (one midmorning and one mid-afternoon). I bf him in the early morning and at night before bed. I am concerned based on articles and posts I have read that he is not getting enough milk, however, since I have read 24-32 ounces a day is still standard for up to a year of age. I am pretty confident he is not getting 24 oz. His two mid day bottles are 5-6 ounces each and the bedtime nursing session normally isn't a full length one since he is sleepy. And the early morning one is now a 3:30am one instead of a 6:30 one like it used to be. (He just started that a few months ago. We have been blaming it on the fact he is now going to bed at 7:15pm and doesn't get up until 6:30am and needs to eat somewhere in the middle.) He eats pretty good at that session, but he was a great sleeper-through-the-night starting at 10 weeks and I am wondering if that new moonlight feeding is a result of not enough milk during the day and what I can do to eliminate that. Pushing back the bedtime doesn't work either, he is pretty adament about going to bed early!

I have tried increasing the amount of milk in his bottles during the day to contain more milk but he doesn't want more than he is already getting. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should reduce the food and add milk back for a meal? I have read your shouldn't give milk and food at the same time that it isn't fully absorbed and I am at a loss for what to do short of supplementing each meal with more milk.

I apologize for the long-winded post, and hope to hear some thoughts/recommendations from other moms soon.

Thanks in advance, ak2000

we give milk and solids at the same time. sometimes milk first, sometimes solids first. in fact, i have instructed the daycare to offer milk after he's finished solids. if you are concerned about supply, i believe you should offer milk first and then the solids. my LO doesn't like to drink milk much at daycare, but goes wild when he gets home (all EBM). then goes wild thru the night wanting milk too.

Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    Its fine if your lo doesnt eat much solids. Some babies don't till after a year. As long as you are still nursing on demand then its fine. Your milk will be the bulk of the nutrition and solids are for learning about taste and texture etc. If he isn't drinking as much milk at daycare he may be making it up at night. At 9 months lots of babies are to distracted by everything to settle down and eat much.
    As far as the nap routine goes. You lo should have regular naps daily.... as long as that happens I think you are all set. My lo isn't on a sch per say.. she naps twice a day.. once around 9 or 10 am and once around 1 or 2.. I just put her down when she gets tired.
    ITA!!! MY lo woll also by 9mo on the 12th!!! He drinks about 24-32oz.... it just depends....

As far as solids...they are pure expreimental...even though my lo acts as if he can't live without them!

My lo naps 2-3 times a day..he's actually put himself on a schedule...and boy am I happy about that!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)