Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old suddenly attached to the breast!

Default 11 month old suddenly attached to the breast!

Hi, I'm needing some help or advice...

I had my first bout of mastitis last week, actually exactly 7 days ago. I did as instructed, and nursed my daughter (11 months) frequently to help get over the infection. However, ever since then, she acts as though she's starving! She wants to eat every 1-2 hours....sometimes even every 30 minutes!!! When I pull my breast out to feed her, she gets so excited, impatient, and anxious, like she hasn't eaten in days!

1) She is eating 3 regular meals of solids.....maybe she isn't eating enough at those times?

2) I've lost a lot of weight while nursing.....I'm about 30 pounds less than my "pre-pregnancy weight"......maybe my milk isn't as filling for her as it used to be?

3) Could she just be going through a growth spurt? I just didn't think they last this long?

Thank you in advance for any advice or help!

Default Re: 11 month old suddenly attached to the breast!

Is she requesting to nurse literally every 1-2 hours or just through certain periods of the day?

Here is a good article from the LLL files on increased nursing:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

Oh, I also meant to address that your weight/size does not change the composition of your milk. Neither does your diet in MOST cases, except cases of severe malnutrition, so this won't be a concern.

Yes, actually if I allowed her, she'd nurse that often....night and day!

I am sorry you are having some frustration during this time. Sorry about your infection also that can be really painful.

I really don't have any advice, I just wanted to say good job for sticking with it!

Oh, thanks so much!! Yes, I'll definitely stick to it.....wouldn't do it any other way!! I love breastfeeding.....just wondering why she's eating SOOO often!

Thanks for the support!