Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Frequent stools...

Default Help! Frequent stools...

I have been breastfeeding my baby boy exclusively for 7 months. I also breastfed my first son for a year, so I do feel pretty knowledgeable, but I ahve been having such a hard time with solid foods this time around.

It all comes down to poop at this point. At first my son was sooo gassy and constantly having green stools. That subsided a little bit, so I introduced solids just past 5 months old. I only gave rice and only did it once a day for about two weeks, but he started not pooping at all. He would go 2-3 days between stools and so I got worried and stopped solids all together. When I started them again he continued to only poop every 2-3 days and the dr. said that was fine. However, recently I began feeding him solids more often and for the last 5 days he has been pooping soooo much. It's almost every other diaper and he's also pooping in the middle of the night. It's crazy. Most of the stools during the day are green too. I did start him on oatmeal recently, so I don't know if that's it or not.

How do I know if it's diarrhea? How do I know if it's a food allergy?? I've looked at all the signs of an allergy, but the only one he would have is the diarrhea (if that's what this poop is). We don't have food allergies anywhere in our family, so it just doesn't seem logical that he could have one. I should note that he has cut two teeth since March 19, but the frequent stools have only been the last 4-5 days. I just want to know how to determine what's going on because it just can't be normal for him to be pooping 5-6 times a day.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicole

Default Re: Help! Frequent stools...

In my family we have dietary/food intolerances which DS seems to have inherited. For my dad, myself and DS if we eat corn in any form (starch/meal/whole-the worst being starch) we have persistant diarrhea. I can tell when his DCP feeds him the wrong yogurt-ugh. I don't know anyone else who has this. It also happens in a lesser extent with starchy veggies like peas and limas. I would switch to something else and re-introduce in a few months. DS also had more stools with pumpkin and sweet potatoes at the begining. HTH and he stops pooping so much soon. FWIW his stools with sweet potatoes and pumpkin were orange, with corn they are his regular color but loose.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!