Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Helping Baby Gain Weight

Default Helping Baby Gain Weight

I have a 4 month old girl who weighed 8lbs. 4oz. at birth, but has gained slowly ever since. She's just shy of 12lbs. and seems so tiny compared to other babies. She is very happy, and seems to nurse well. She is breastfed exclusively-she refuses a bottle even with breastmilk in it. She is not fussy (doesn't seem hungry), but does seem to be more of a snacker than a long eater. She had thrush for a few weeks, it was really hard to get rid of, but I think we're past it now. Developmentally she seems right on track--she's rolling over, has good trunk control, etc. Should I be concerned about her weight? What about starting rice cereal-does that help with weight gain. Is there anything I can do in terms of my diet or feeding schedule with her to help her gain weight? We do have her in bed with us so I know she is nursing throughout the night. I'd appreciate some feedback!

Default Re: Helping Baby Gain Weight

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

heres some info that might help.
    Solids don't help with weight gain at that age, most solids that we feed to babies have less calories and less good fats then breastmilk..

what have her wets been like?
    I used to lay out diapars in the am and if it got to be supper time and baby was low I would try and squeeze and extra feed in while we were getting ready for bed.

She has a ton of wet diapers, and at least one to three poops (very dark yellowy-typical) per day. She is really soaked first thing in the morning after nursing most of the night. She sleep nurses (rolls over nurses, does that again 1-2 hours later). She doesn't seem like she's not getting enough, but she just is not plumping out. Maybe she is just little, but it makes me worry since I've read that babies should double their birth weight by 3-4 months.

I don't think I would be to worried about it, because every baby grows at a different pace. You may just have a small little one, I have a chubby bubby on my hands. He has already out grew one car seat. Another momma here in the forums has a Ds who is two days older than mine, they weighted about the same at birth but my Ds has about 4lbs on her son now. They are both perfect but they just grow at a different pace. She gets the " Your baby is so tiny" and I get "What have you been feeding that kid he is huge"

If your really concerned you can always talk to your Ped.

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

You want at least 4ozs a week of weight gain, so about a # a month. You have that assuming baby lost 8ozs at birth. She sounds fine to me. My dd was 7#2oz at birth and was not quite 14# at 6 mos. Evan was 1oz shy of doulbing his weight at 6 mos and AJ weighed as much at 6 mos as Evan did at 12! All 3 of my kids have been pretty different w/ the last 2 tiny ones being the closest.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

What I've been told is that breastfed babies are more likely to naturally grow into the body type they are genetically predisposed toward. Some really big newborns gain weight slower, as well as some string beans get big really quickly. And everything in between.

After a big loss in the first week, I had a string bean (50%ile length, 10th %ile weight). At 4 months, she's still 50th%ile length and 35%ile weight. Getting there. She's developmentally on-target, but on the slender side.

And yes, I gasp at the big babies. I went to a cook out and there was a baby two weeks ahead who was 16 pounds at 4.5 months and my baby at 4 months was 12 and change. I was amazed at ow different babies can be.

There's a wide normal range. For me, I am happy to be able to wear my baby comfortably and hopefully not have my back give out!

That is a really good point. We love our sling, and I can't imagine enjoying it so much if I had a real tanker. I had a chance to visit a friend today with a new baby girl. My daughter looked huge in comparison, so it was really good perspective. She has grown a ton since that little tiny newborn stage. My husband and I are both pretty small people so maybe we're just bound to have little babies.

I have a teeny-tiny DD. Born 8.1, and dropped to 7.2; She is 17 weeks now and only at 9.8; she has been steady there for almost 2 months now. She has grown more then an inch and developmentally is right on track but not putting on weight. I worked w/ my local LLL Leader and started feeding her every 1.5 hours. still no change. I bought a scale and I weigh her before and after a feeding and she will eat 7-8 oz each time. I am not to concerned but I am sure when I go to the Dr this coming week he is going to freak out on me. She only poos about once a week and we change wet ones 5-6 times a day. They are not saturated but there is urine in it. The family is also giving it to me to start on solids and formula, so forget about support at home.

It sounds as if the general consensus is that if the babies are doing well developmentally that we're not to worry. Your baby sounds perfect. Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky to have tiny babes. My friend has a 16 pounder at 4 months. I can't imagine lugging him around. At exactly 4 months yesterday my baby smiles, laughs, reaches for things, rolls over in both directions, loves to snuggle, but is just a little peanut. We go to the doctor next week. I do think we might have a return of thrush which could be slowing down the weight gain, but she is so happy that it's hard to believe that anything is bothering her.