Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spitting up/growth spurt questions

Default spitting up/growth spurt questions

okay so my lil guy turned 3weeks yesterday. i was just curious if/when they have growth spurts. it seems like hes always eating. im actually not sure if hes eating too much. which leads to the second question. hes spitting up alot and i burp him. which he does burp. but i dont know why hes spitting up so much. it comes out his mouth and nose and soaks his face and the back of his head. is he eating too much? i know this is a silly question. sometimes he seems like he wants to eat so i dont know if thats causing him to spit up alot.

also i know i asked this before but i was wondering if its possible for him to eat and for me not to hear him. cos i was wondering if that may be why hes eating alot -cos hes not getting any the first times. he does have wet/poop diapers so i know hes eating. but i dont want to over feed him if hes not hungry either. hes does seem content when i feed him. im just curious

thanks for reading

Default Re: spitting up/growth spurt questions

Congrats on your newest arrival!

Growth spurts can happen at anytime. Three weeks is a common age for a growth spurt, so that could be what you're experiencing. Do be aware, though, that frequent nursing is common throughout the newborn stage. It's normal, and it does pass! Here is some helpful info:
    Growth spurts
    Frequent nursing
    Nursing your newborn — what to expect in the early weeks

You mention he is nursing often and spitting up a lot. How are his wet and dirty diapers--about how many in 24 hours? When he's nursing, does he ever come off coughing, choking, or sputtering?

Default Re: spitting up/growth spurt questions

oh man i dont know how many diapres. seems like too many. haha between him and my daughter. but anyway once in a great while he comes off coughing