Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can stress affect supply?

Default Can stress affect supply?

My job has become very stressful in the past 2 weeks. With no end in sight...I'd get a new job if I could find something that paid as well (I am the breadwinner) but that is unlikely.

Since I've had this increase in stress...and I am talking days of heart pouonding, stomach in knots kind of thing...it seems my supply has suffered. Does anyone know if there is a real, direct correlation between the two?

Anyone have any experience with this? If you could not lessen the stress level, what did you do?

I am really peeved about this...I hate being a working mom as it is...and now its hurting my BFing/pumping...

Oh and for info..my son is 9.5 months and I've been pumping 3X a day for 6.5 months.

Default Re: Can stress affect supply?

Amanda,

I just had to respond to your post - I lost a baby in December of 2005 and my DD is one month older than your DS!!

I do believe that stress plays a part in supply. However, if you are experiencing the type of heart-pounding, stomach in knots kind, then your supply is probably suffering. I am the bread winner in our family too, so I understand the "not being able to leave" feeling. Is there any way you could talk to a supervisor and/or a coworker to help take some of the work load?

Sending you lots of hugs!
    Sarah ~~ Wife to Shawn, Mother to Rebekkah Jane born 5/27/07

I wish I could! We've lost 4 key team members off our project in less than a year and noone has been replaced. All their work gets dumped on everyone else. The project manager is useless... I really hate my situation!

Anyway, I don't know what to do about my supply. I wonder if taking fenugreek would help?

As if there isn't enough to worry about...

BTW...sorry to hear of your loss...I know how hard that is... hugs to you!

Stress doesn't really affect production, as much as it does inhibit let-down. It's more difficult to let-down when you're body is experiencing the "fight or flight" response.

You might find some of the tips found on this page helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html

And here is a helpful article about nursing through stressful times:
    http://www.nursingmoms.net/Default.aspx?tabid=397

HTH!