Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby wants to BF all the time!!

Default Baby wants to BF all the time!!

I think my dd is starting to protest when I am not able to breastfeed. I work full time. She doesn't mind eating from a bottle. But she likes to nurse for comfort. Often she likes to nurse even after getting full from a bottle of expressed milk. She gets really fussy when she is with me and I don't bf her...but she is also fussy with dad, the babysitter, and even grandma! And the only thing that makes her happy is to nurse. It gets frustrating when we are in public and she throws fits. I've tried giving her a pacifier, but she rarely takes it. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a bf baby to accept a pacifier? Or other ways of comforting her when I can't be with her?

Default Re: Baby wants to BF all the time!!

How old is she? A lot of times babies go through growth spurts that require them to nurse constantly.

Hi Kim,
    I understand your concerns with wanting to soothe and comfort your dd. These early months are often spent getting to know our babies and what they need! Is your dd about 3-months-old?

She certainly could be going through a growth spurt as the PP mentioned. In that case she would want to nurse more frequently to increase your milk supply and then would back off again after a few days. It sounds to me though, that your dd has shown these signs of fussiness for longer than that and you are wondering what to do to make her happy.

It is very normal for babies to want their mothers a lot at this age. If you are wondering if it is ok to offer for her to nurse when she is fussy-yes! I would suggest that be the first thing you try when she seems fussier that usual.

You mentioned she likes to nurse "even after getting full from a bottle of EBM." I am just wondering, would it work for you to let her nurse whenever you are with her, and save the bottles of EBM for when there is no way for you to nurse her? This might make her a little less fussy.

You also mentioned it is difficult for you when she gets fussy in public and can't be consoled. I am just wondering if breastfeeding her in public is an option for you? It sometimes takes some logistical planning, but it can be done discreetly and comfortably! You can usually nurse privately in changing rooms, your car and other areas that you can plan out in advance! Some babies do not like going out and being separated from mom by the stroller/car carrier. Would it be possible for you to carry her in a sling or front carrier while you are out? This might make her happier overall, and make you trips out more pleasant.

Many moms of BF babies use pacifiers to calm their baby when they simply can not nurse, such as during car rides. If she is resistant to pacifiers, it is probably just her choice and she may not be easily persauded .

I would highly recommend the Fussy Baby Book, by Dr. William Sears. This might answer a lot more of your questions about the needs of high-need babies.

Take heart-this will pass! Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks! That is a lot of helpful info. She is just about 3 months. I think she has been doing this for awhile...It just didn't click with me until now. I kind of paid close attention to the way she acted this weekend. I kept up our bottle feeding schedule during the day and bf her in the evening, night, and morning. And maybe it was just because I was there...but she kept rooting and acting fussy most of the day...even after bottlefeeding. She has been extra persistant the past couple of days, so she may be going through a growth spurt too. I'll try bf her whenever I'm with her and see what happens! Thanks for the tips on bf in public. I've always been kind of afraid to do that, but I suppose it just takes some practice in getting comfortable with it.

Kim, I just wanted to add that if you actually physically nurse baby on the weekends instead of offering EBM and pumping then you may actually find that you go into Monday and Tuesday with more milk. A baby is much more effective at stimulating the breast and removing milk from the breast than any pump. I always found that I had LOTS of milk on Mondays when I was working and pumping.

It does sound like a growth spurt but also keep in mind that the breast is so much more than just food -- it's also a wonderful source of comfort for baby I'd take it as a compliment that she prefers you over anything or anyone else!

Nursing in public certainly gets easier with practice too!

You are welcome! I hope things get easier and more comfortable for you with time. You two are still getting into your "nursing groove". But things should continue to fall into place for you!

Thanks for the additional info on pumping and nursing Carol!

I just wanted to update on how things were going...
    I bf dd all weekend this past weekend and she was much happier! I did notice, however, that when I came home from work yesterday she was crying up a storm with DH. And when I held her she was as fine as can be. She had a lot of ebm left. She didn't want to take the rest of her bottle from DH. When I bf her after I got home, she acted like she was waiting for it all day! Also, is it possible that babies eat less when they are teething? She has been drooling a lot for the past 5 weeks and now I noticed that she knaws on her hands a lot (even when she is not hungry). And it felt like she was biting me last night!