Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing to sleep

Default Nursing to sleep

My LO(almost 6 months) is still only nursing to sleep. He will not go to sleep any onther way(Well he might cry to sleep but I refuse to do that) So I am asking for advice from anyone who did this and has gotten passed it now. How old was your LO when they started going to sleep without nursing, how long did it take and did you use any tricks to encourage independent falling asleep?

Default Re: Nursing to sleep

Neither of mine has ever fallen asleep without sucking. Dd still needs her pacifier to fall asleep and ds still nurses to sleep (about the same age as your lo). I think it is normal, although frustrating at times.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

It seems never ending, but yes, your LO will eventually be able to fall asleep on his own. Check out the "sleep or lack of it" section. You might find some tips. We waited until ds was 15 months old, and we did some gentle training with him for nighttime. It took about a week for changes to happen. Consistency is really the key. However, I still nurse him every night before bed as part of his routine. I am not ready to end that, and neither is he. I still nurse him to sleep for naps as well. However, if he is tired enough I can put him down when he is still awake.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Z was 18 months before he was able to fall asleep without nursing. He still needs to be rocked to sleep some of the time, though. I can usually rock him until he is relaxed and then put him in bed where he falls asleep. I started out waiting until he was just asleep to put him down. Then gradually put him down earlier and earlier. Maybe someday I'll be able to put him down wide awake. Every baby is different, but Z was definitely not ready for this until recently. It wouldn't have worked if I'd tried it earlier.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My LO does not take a soother or bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    Z was 18 months before he was able to fall asleep without nursing. He still needs to be rocked to sleep some of the time, though. I can usually rock him until he is relaxed and then put him in bed where he falls asleep. I started out waiting until he was just asleep to put him down. Then gradually put him down earlier and earlier. Maybe someday I'll be able to put him down wide awake. Every baby is different, but Z was definitely not ready for this until recently. It wouldn't have worked if I'd tried it earlier.
    Thank you for the encouragement. I enjoy nursing my LO to sleep, but I don't want it to last forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Alexander View Post
    Thank you for the encouragement. I enjoy nursing my LO to sleep, but I don't want it to last forever!
    It won't last forever. I promise! It sure does feel that way, though, sometimes, doesn't it? I try to keep the big picture in mind. Even if this lasts a couple of years, what's a couple of year in the larger scheme of things. Hang in there!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

We stopped nursing to sleep about a month ago (he's 9 1/2 mos old) he is FINALLY sleeping through most nights. Otherwise he was up 3-4 times per night wanting to nurse.
    Melissa
    Mommy to 3 babies
    Emily 8.11.05 My darling daughterEvan 6.28.07 the baddest, sweetest little guy I ever met
    Eliot 6.1.2010 coming soon and soon to be again!

I did not give you the gift of life, God gave me the gift of you.

DS (3 1/2 months) doesn't nurse to fall asleep, per se, but he does nurse before falling asleep. For over a month now, I've been taking him upstairs and starting his bedtime routine before he starts showing signs of sleepiness, and while we do nurse before bedtime (more for my sake than his- full boobs aren't fun to sleep with!), he's still awake by the time we're done. I tuck him into his crib and turn on his bear. Most nights, he'll just drift off by himself, sucking away on his hands (he's starting to teethe), and there are others where he may fuss and cry for a few seconds, but it seems like it's just a way to let off a little excess energy before falling asleep. If he does fuss for longer than that, then DH will go upstairs and soothe him back to sleep, because if I do it, he interprets that as time for another nursing session, and I'm usually just (finally) sitting down to eat dinner at that time.

We're still working on naps, though. When all else fails there, I'll just pop him in his carseat and go for a ride. He's out before I turn off our street!
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Could you try nursing until your LO slows down and is very drowsy but awake, and then pat him a little and put him down to sleep? Maybe that way you can gently break the nursing to sleep connection and he will eventually be able to fall asleep without having to nurse down. My LO actually sleeps BETTER I found without nursing down for naps...I think he gets too much gas to sleep well and startles awake with it, resulting in shorter daytime naps. It's hard for me to burp a baby on the verge of sleep! He wakes up and the nap is skipped! If his tummy isn't full, he will give me a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hour nap (at 3 months). He does nurse down at night and for nighttime feedings, but he is much sleepier then, and the gas doesn't seem to bother him as much.