Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding too much??

Question Breastfeeding too much??

My daughter is 10 weeks old and I had a VERY VERY hard time getting started nursing with her, even though she is my third! It has really only been a few weeks that we have had pain free nursing, so YEAH!!

My concern is that she is nursing TOO often. During the afternoon/evening hours, she sometimes willl want to nurse every hour or two and I don't mind, but I don't want to make a pattern of feeding her every time she is upset. She sleeps for 8-10 hours straight at night, will nurse for 5-10 minutes, then sleep for another 2-3 hours. She is gaining weight (at her 2 month she was 24 inches and 12 pounds, from 20 inches and 8.6 at birth) and is a really happy baby most of the time, but I am worried about overfeeding her. She doesn't tend to cry about much, and when she wants to nurse again after an hour, I try to otherwise occupy her (singing, playing, walking around, bathtime, etc) but most of the time it doesn't work and she seems hungry.

Any help/advice on this would be much appreciated!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding too much??

I tink you're doin fine. Especially if she is happy! My doc said I was overfeeding my little guy, and after he would nurse, and during, he would scream and cry. So I think you're doing a fine job!

I wouldn't worry about how often she is eating since she is gaining well and otherwise happy. Some babies just need to eat my often.

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

I just wanted to add that since your LO is sleeping so long at night and at such a young age, that could have something to do with feeding so much during the day. A lot of 10 wk olds are nursing all during the night too.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

your dd is fine. My lo was like that. She also slept LONG stetches at night so she ate pretty much all day long. She was every 1.5-2 hours until like 6 months old. Some babies just need to suck and spend alot of time at the breast. Since she gives you such nice long stretches at night I would let her nurse as much as she wants during the day. Its fine and normal and you can't over feed a breastfed baby!!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Your daughter is still very young, and it is totally normal for a young baby to want to nurse as frequently as you describe, or even more often. I read somewhere that babies in traditional Khoi-san (a.k.a. Kalahari Bushmen) cultures nurse, on average, every 17 minutes during the day!

Don't worry: you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. The breast isn't like the bottle, which drips milk into the baby's mouth whether or not the baby is actually hungry. If a breastfed baby wants to eat, she has to actively work to get milk to come out. If she is just nursing for comfort, she will only get a tiny trickle of milk, which is not enough to overfeed her.

I agree with the PPs- frequent feeds during the day may be the reason your baby is sleeping so beautifully. She's maximizing the calories she takes in during the day so that she can go without during the night. Just keep on keepin' on, and don't worry. As she gets older and more interested in the outside world she will probably start to space her feedings out more without you having to do a thing.

It sounds like things are going very well ! I would definitely feed on demand during the day if she sleeps so long at night. If you cut out some daytime feedings, she may start waking you up to eat at night.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Thank you everyone, I feel a lot better now! One more question, any good comebacks for people who say "you're feeding her AGAIN?" My MIL and others are always commenting on how often my daughter eats and it is very frustrating and I feel like I am always making excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by ksol View Post
    Thank you everyone, I feel a lot better now! One more question, any good comebacks for people who say "you're feeding her AGAIN?" My MIL and others are always commenting on how often my daughter eats and it is very frustrating and I feel like I am always making excuses.
    A sweet smile, followed by a simple "yep" usually does the trick! But how about "yes, I am, isn't it great we've got this all worked out now! She's so smart!" (assuming they know you had trouble in the begining)

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You shouldn't feel like you have to make excuses about how often you feed your baby. Your MIL and her ilk should be the ones making excuses for making you feel strange about doing the right thing!

Did they formula-feed their kids? If so, they may be totally unfamiliar with how often breastfed babies need to eat, and mistakenly think that your baby feeds frequently because your milk isn't "filling" or "rich" enough.

If you don't want to be confrontational when they ask if you are about to nurse your baby again, try responding with "Yes," followed by "Isn't the weather lovely today?" or "So, how about those Yankees?" or "Did you see American Idol last week?" Eventually, they will see how beautifully your baby is growing and slack off on the queries.

If you want to be a little more direct, try "Yes. I'm so glad she tanks up during the day, because it helps her sleep really well at night. And it's so good for her health!"

And if you want to be totally blunt, say "Yes. Are you concerned about how frequently she eats? You keep asking about it."