Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: want to wean from sns

Default want to wean from sns

Please help... I have an almost 4 week old son. He was not gaining weight exclusively bfing, he was loosing, despite me having an ample supply. He is a lazy nurser. He falls asleep almost instantly. I do undress him, use a cold wet cloth on him, etc. He was not pooping at all, but had ample wet diapers. He had hyperbilirubenemia, and used the biliblankets, but that is resolved now. I started using an SNS with the medium tubing (with my expressed milk) and he started to gain and poop. He now normally has one yellow big poop a day, 7 wets, and is a few ounces above his birthweight now. That sounds great, but...

I can't take using the SNS forever. Its not so much the SNS that is the problem, its the pumping I can't take. I EP'd 18 months for my dd who wouldn't latch, so everytime I pump (after each feeding) it opens old wounds and is making me very depressed. I switched to the small tubing yesterday, and he seems to be still taking about the same amount of pumped milk. (about 8-9 ounces a day) from the SNS. Please help me to wean from this before he refuses to nurse without it and before I loose my mind.

Default Re: want to wean from sns

I know it's not much comfort to you for right now... but from my experience and from loads of posts I have read on this forum our LOs tend to get more efficient at nursing at about the 6 week mark.

I had to pump for ages too so I know how you feel

I wish I could lend some more practical advice.. have you seen a lactation consultant for help positioning your LO... perhaps feeding would be more efficient if you were using another position? Just a thought. Hope any of this helps.

Any chance he is tongue-tied?

No, he isn't tongue tied. I wanted to update... I weaned from the SNS at 6.5 weeks old and he is a totally healthy baby now at 4.5 months old. 55%ile for both height and weight.

WTG!!!
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Great job!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!