Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: first airplane trip, nerves...

Default first airplane trip, nerves...

wasn't sure where to post this,...but,...

we are taking baby on his first flight out to L.A. (about a 1 hour flight) and he is 3 months old. i'm really nervous. do any of you have any tips or words of advice i should know before our departure?

i heard you should feed baby during take-off and landing to help with discomfort that may occur in the ears, due to altitude changes. is this true?

Default Re: first airplane trip, nerves...

Nurse as much as possible! It will help with the ears. DS slept most of our cross-country flight when he was 2 months. I think the engine noise actually lulled him to sleep!
    Bring a change of clothes for the baby - and for you on board. DD was 2 months for her first flight and she had the biggest POOP both times we landed. Pressure change, maybe? It went everywhere! Not fun standing at the luggage carousel with poopy shirt!
    Just give yourself plenty of time to check in and get through security. It can be a pain if you have a carseat, stroller, etc.
    Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

A 1-hour flight sounds like a great first flying experience. I don't think you'll have any trouble at all.
    We leave next week for a 2-flight trip, first one is 3.5 hours then a 2 hour layover, then another 2 hour flight. That plus a 2yr old and an 8 month old might literally kill me.
    Erin, Mommy to Alex & Derek

Working Breasts: Please do not pet

A sling or carrier is a great thing to have in an airport with a baby.
    I agree that a one hour flight will be great for the first time, by the time you get up there and get comfy then you'll be on your way back down.
    Nursing does help relieve that inner ear pressure that can build up, they work the same jaw muscles that you do when you chew gum or yawn to pop your ears.
    Good luck mama I'm sure it will go great
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Gate check your stroller and carseat if you're bringing them, they get less damaged. Have a sling or something else you can wear baby through the airport since you don't have to take them out to go through security. It is a pain to take a baby out of a stroller, fold the stroller to go through the xray machine, then assemble everything back together with all the other hoops you have to jump through at security now. Don't put shoes on baby, they will make you take them off

We first travelled when DS was 4.5 months and it was a 3 hour flight, I did try to nurse him at take off and landing but he slept most the time. We just flew again last week (he's 13 months) and he had a much harder time about his ears. Nursing helped but he didn't want to nurse, he wanted to be up looking around.

The hardest part has always been all the extra baby stuff you have to lug with you so get a luggage cart might be helpful. Good luck mama!!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

thanks so much for all the great advice, ladies! now, off to packing. i don't even know where to begin. and how i'm gonna get it all done while holding/entertaining ds. i hope i don't forget anything.

We flew with DS at about that age, and I would add take 2 changes of clothes for your baby. That was probably the worst part of the trip, plus I had to change him right before we took off and missed early boarding. Keeping changing supplies under the seat in front of you is also helpful.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

When I flew with DD I put a diaper and a few wipes in a separate ziplock bag in the diaper bag in a place that was easy to reach. That way if I needed to do a change on the plane I could just grab this ziplock and not worry about the whole diaper bag. Lord knows there's not enough room in those tiny airplane bathrooms!

I second leaving enough time to get through security. It's a time consuming hassle.

As for the sling/carrier. This is a great way to be hands free. Just don't use a Bjorn. They won't let you carry LO in a Bjorn through security. But I guess other slings are allowed.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

That's good to know about the Baby Bjorn. We are flying next month, and I was planning on using that.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !