Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: antidepressant and BF..any suggestions??

Default antidepressant and BF..any suggestions??

I suffer from depression. I did long before my pregnancy. I took a medication through my pregnancy but b/c of complications with my delivery, I had to come off it. I did okay until recently. I do not think it is postpartum, but truly my depression from the past. I did not want to medicate, but I am thinking I may need to. I was wondering if anyone had used any medications and has a suggestion on which one I might consider. I am uneasy about all this, and was seeking some support. My LO is 5 1/2 months. I really do not want to stop BF..help!!! I have already tried lifestyle changes as well as Omega 3.

Default Re: antidepressant and BF..any suggestions??

to you! I understand what you are going through. I think Zoloft is the best for breastfeeding. Very little of it comes through the BM and your LO is not a newborn, so there is even less of a chance of side effects for him/her. Talk to your doctor as well as your pediatrician. You do not have to stop BF to be medicated for depression!

This link has good info on the topic: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

im in the same boat as you. i take zoloft and just had my child i also took it with my first. both doctors said it was ok to take. but i would talk to your doc. good luck

I am glad to hear someone say that they have BF with success while being on something for depression! I almost did not have a child b/c I feared my depression. I was so concerned I would have a bad spell and not be able to take of my child. I am trying to be proactive as I am feeling my depression coming on. I have heard Zoloft was a good option. I was on Welbeutrin when I was pregnant and my LO is doing great. I had to go on magnesium during my labor, and had to come off my meds. I did great initially, but I sense my mood changing. I am making an apt tomorrow with a psychiatrist and calling my daughters dr. I really do not want to give up BF, but do not want to put her at any great risk. Thank you SO much for the suggestion!!!

is prozac safe? the doc gave my sis that and i was wondering if it was ok. she's not BF right now, but is pumping since her baby was born at 28 weeks.

I am not sure. I believe it is a common one given while pregnant. The older ones tend to be given more b/c we know a little more about them. I do not know about BF. I can't recall for sure, but you might try this link. Charlottes mommy sent me that I found helpful. Best of luck to your sister!!!

This link has good info on the topic: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html.

My midwife prescribed me Zoloft for my PPD. She said it was the safest medication to take while BF-ing. Something to do with the molecules being unable to transfer through to the breastmilk, much like ibuprofin.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

I am seeing a lot of people used/use Zoloft. I am definitly going to use it so long as her dr agrees with it. I thank you all for your input. It is such an unnerving thing to medicate not knowing what you will do to your LO.