Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Travelling With Infant

Unhappy Travelling With Infant

Okay girls, I need help. This past weekend, DH and I took baby on a 6 hour away car trip and it did not go well. The driving was fine in the carseat, because we totally killed ourselves and drove thru the night (11pm-5am) LO did great on that part since she slept the entire way. Also, when we arrived there and home, she still would nurse and go back to sleep for a few hours, so the sleep part was not too terrible. The problem was this: I really wanted to show my friends that BF was the best thing for baby and convenient too. Well, that did NOT happen. I am a dedicated BF mom, but the inconvenience of having to leave the room every single feeding was stressful. (Some of the people we were visiting were not comfortable with BF and so I couldn't just 'whip it out') The trip itself with LO was stressful since I'm a FTM, but the worst part was the BF! I even pumped several bottles over the weekend trying to be able to visit as much as possible, but then I got stressed, worried and tired and ended up with a VERY LOW milk supply as the weekend went on. So, I would end up having to nurse LO an hour later anyways. I was so aggravated that I couldn't show my friend (whose baby is FF) that BF was so great! (It normally is at home)

Here's the deal: In May, we HAVE to take another long trip (8hrs) to visit DH family and DH has a job interview (we may be moving there). Do you moms have any advice to make the trip go more smoothly? We'll also be with the in-laws on that trip and FIL would think it rude for me to BF in front of him. Gotta keep the peace! Like I said, I'm dedicated to BF, but there were a few times this weekend when I just wanted to make a formula bottle (I don't even know how) and be able to get back to visiting my friends. I'm so ashamed. Any advice appreciated...

Default Re: Travelling With Infant

Whats done is done... don't be ashamed

BUT for your question. Do you have to go? It seems reasonable for you stay behind this time. Especially since you might move there. Theyre'll be plenty of time for visiting then.

(and fwiw IF you do move there AND FIL comes to your house... he can excuse himself for you to nurse if he's uncomfortable )

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Where in OK are you? You could practice NIP more at some local LLL meetings. We have quite a few around the metro. The group I go to the most meets tomorrow. Edmond's meets on Wednesday of this week. I'm not sure when the more southern groups meet.

Although I do believe in modesty while nursing (like anything else), I don't think you should have to leave to nurse your baby despite what others may think! Educating people is key, and if they don't see it they can't learn to accept it. We actually just talked about BFing in public and family criticism this last month.

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Unfortunately, I do have to make this trip with him. It is 95% certain he'll be getting the job (there are no others being interviewed, it's just a formality) and we need to look at a place to live while we're there. Also, my mom lives nearby, so I actually WANT to go. You know Grammy has to see this grandbaby!

How about a nursing cover? There are many out there that keep you covered so that you can stay and socialize with your friends and your FIL won't be able to see a thing.

I have checked into going to the Norman meeting, which I think is closest. I have a cover, but haven't tried it yet. I think my face would turn bright red if I was nursing in the room with my FIL or one of the other men/boys that were there this weekend. In front of women/girls, I'm always fine with it and don't even care if I end up exposed for a few seconds. I think I do need to practice with the cover...

I nurse with a cover all the time in front of my fil, dad, men at church, whoever, and with a little practice, it really is like second nature. Other people might get uncomfortable, but I think that's something they need to work on. My dad used to be super uncomfortable with it (he would never say anything, just act nervous), but now it's just normal to him, too. I would just try to not make a big deal out of it. If you act comfortable, it's likely others will too. I wouldn't draw attention to what you're doing... just act like you're oblivious that anyone else is there. If you are acting like you're uncomfortable that you have to feed, others may feel uncomfortable too. Does that make any sense? When it's time for my dd to eat, I just get my burp cloth and nursing cover out of my bag and go about my business...
    I know that it can be hard to show others that bf is easier when you're travelling. I was in a wedding last weekend, and that was definitely a challenge, but I think some people just don't wanna see the light!