Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Meds and Breastmilk

Exclamation Meds and Breastmilk

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, and I'm a bit embarrassed to ask, but I need some advice! My doctor (OBGYN) prescribed Fluconazale for a yeast infection, and on the box it says that it DOES get into breastmilk (though doc said it's fine). My son is 6 months old (22lbs 9oz, 30inches) and is breastfed, but also gets some purees once a day. Do I need to hold off on nursing while I take this? (I'd rather not, as my milk doesn't 'keep' due to high lipase levels- something I just discovered, so I only have 9oz stored up now that I'm scalding). Anyway, does anyone know about this drug?
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches

Default Re: Meds and Breastmilk

Here are a couple of good (non LLL) resources on this drug. Usually the package insert will say that a breastfeeding or pregnant mom shouldn't take the drug because the manufacture did no studies including those women, and it's legally safer for them to say just don't take it.
    They do not include many other studies done on the medication, that's what these links give you info from

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1199721383

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...temp/~JN17Me:1

I hope you feel better soon
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Smile Re: Meds and Breastmilk

I've taken diflucan (fluconazole) for yeast infection in my breast for 2 weeks as have many women seeing that is usually the treament for recurrent yeast in the breast. Vaginal infection requires one dose only. Anything you take has potential to get into your milk but by the time it gets there it is in very small concentrations which usually are not harmful to your baby. If you are not comfortable wiith it u could use monistat cream instead which is not systemic but should take care of the infection.

I had to take a few rounds of this med, and was nervous too. I was in a lot of pain though-long story. Anyways, I had no problems with it, and my LO seems just fine. I try to avoid meds when possible, but ignoring the issue was making it worse. I tried the over the counter things, and for me, they did not work, so I felt like I needed to try this. I wish you luck

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will give it a try- my doc said it was fine, but I just wanted to make sure (she isn't a nursing mom!). It's always so nice to have a group to turn to!
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches