Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: yobaby yogurt?

Default Re: yobaby yogurt?

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Isn't that what his sleeve is for?
    Quit Flirting with me!

Way too lazy for formula

making your own yogurt is the easiest thing on earth...
    I do it like this:
    heat 1 litre whole (organic) milk up to 60°C (140° F) and put it in a pot or jar (I use a big glass jar)
    pour 3 TBS of rich greek yogourt in it (or 1 jar of whole plain yogurt, 125 ml)
    stir briefely with a whisk or fork, close the jar (no sealing needed, just to be 'protected') or cover the pot with the lid and wrap it in a blanket (or put it under the duvet in the spare room, lol)
    let it sit for a few hours (like, morning to afternoon or evening to morning) and... that's it!
    next time you do it you don't need new yougurt, just use some of the one you've done...
    one important thing is not to shake it or stir it if not briefly at the beginning: if shaken while it's fermenting it "breaks up", "shreds" and doesn't thicken... (sorry, don't know how to say it in english!)

or... see other ways here ; searching the web with 'homemade yogurt recipe' will give you tons of others...

HTH!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

I don't think the pectin adds sugar but I could be wrong..
    heres a good web page for making yougart.
    Don't let the gallon of milk scare you you don't have to use that much.
    I use 4 cups of milk for my yougart maker
    but the cool thing you don't have to have a yougart maker you can use a heating pad or just a cooler and warm water.
    http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...YOGURT2000.htm

heres a cool article
    http://www.foodproductdesign.com/art...411451725.html

and here is

http://www.stonyfield.com/Wellness/H...itionGuide.cfm

from that link
    What is pectin and why do you put it in your yogurt?
    Pectin is a natural substance derived from apples and citrus fruit. We use it to help keep our yogurt from separating.

Quote Originally Posted by panzona View Post
    making your own yogurt is the easiest thing on earth...
    I do it a little differently, but probably either way works. There are a lot of different ways to do yogurt depending on preferences and equipment available.
    1. Bring the milk to 180ºF in a saucepan.
    2. Cool to 110ºF, then gently stir in a few tablespoons of store bought yogurt. I use Stonyfield plain organic.
    3. Pour into containers. I use small glass jars for individual sized servings.
    4. I've found the easiest way to keep it warm is to place the jars in a cooler along with several large containers of hot water. Change the water half way through to keep it warm. It generally takes mine about 6-8 hours to gel.
    5. Then refrigerate and eat!

It's easy and about half the cost of buying it if you do organic. The next time, you can use some of your yogurt for a starter, rather than store bought. To flavor it, I mix DD's with fruit purees or applesauce. I like raspberry preserves in mine.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

Ok, I'm SURE this has been asked here before, but please humor me... I have read that LO's are not supposed to have whole cow's milk until at least 12 months... but yogurt is a milk product?? And it's ok? I would LOVE to give my LO some yogurt (she is 6 months and we are just now starting solids...) Can someone please clarify this for me? Thank you, mamas!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

yogurt is ok because its cooked....
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t045700.asp

Thanks so much, Andrea!! That makes perfect sense Ok, one more question, and hopefully this doesn't qualify as high-jacking someone's thread... but as far as giving cheese to a baby, would the same concept apply?

Thanks,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I'm pretty sure they don't cook most cheese!
    Something to find out