Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: yobaby yogurt?

Default Re: Yogurt making hints, cheese-making... was: yobaby yogurt?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma2-3 View Post
    Milk to make yogurt is not heated to make it sterile. It is done to kill off undesirable bacteria. Heating momentarily to 180 isn't enough to sterilize it. These bacteria are present in pasteurized milk -- especially if the milk's been sitting around a while -- and mess up yogurt-making. (If farm-fresh, that is unpasteuried, milk is used, the milk doesn't need to be heated above 110' before making the yogurt.)
    heating (boiling) for long enough kills all bacteria, desireable and undesireable, and that by definition is sterlization. Pasteurized milk has been heated to the point where the bacterial counts are low (although the milk is not sterile). Lactobacillus creates a very acidic environment which will prevent other bacteria from growing. When I used to make my own yogurt, I would add the live cultures directly into the milk jug (pasteurized milk) and go from there. There really isnt much point in you pasteurizing pasteurized milk. However all instructions that you find on the web will say to boil first.

The instructions I used were from the early days of the internet and were written by a PhD in a microbiology lab.

Also, I would say the opposite, if you are using farm fresh milk it is more necessary to pasteurize it to avoid the growth of pathogenic organisms.

Default Re: yobaby yogurt?

I think you can save $$$ making your own.
    you need a good starter, I just use the walmart brand plain yougart.

I don't boil mine.
    I just heat it too 130...
    http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...YOGURT2000.htm

I think the idea of heating the milk gives the culture the warmth to grow.

I have been making my own yogurt for a while and I have followed these instructions - http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru...hp?id=9738&p=1

This is from a chicken forum and be warned this thread is massive. Pg. 7 has step by step pictures.

I have never had any problems, I follow her exact directions.

Fresh yogurt tastes really good, much better than the store!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Default Re: Yogurt making hints, cheese-making... was: yobaby yogurt?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Wow I am going to look into the yogurt making. Do you find it to be money saving? I can buy the 64 oz Nancy's organic whole milk yogurt for around 4.89. How much whole milk would it take to make 64 oz of yogurt?

however much milk you use is how much yogurt you'll end up with.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Newfather: When I said it's not necessary to heat farm-fresh milk beyond 110 I was speaking from the point of view of killing off bacteria found in pasteurized milk that will foul up the yogurt, not from the point of view of sterilization. Some of us out here feel that pasteurization results in loss of a lot of the nutritional value of cow's milk, and if you have a trusted source, you don't have to pasteurize it. But that's an issue for a different forum....