Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Body Adjusting to Baby's Schedule

Default Body Adjusting to Baby's Schedule

Hello Fellow Breastfeeding Moms

As a first time mom I am looking for advice and assurance about my milk supply. My 3 month old son is sleeping through the night - on average 8 hours. He has been sleeping through the night for the past 4-5 weeks. He goes down between 9-10p.m. I usually pump between 11p.m.-12:30a.m. and get between 3-5 ounces. I have been getting up at least once a night, usually around 3a.m. to pump again. I am trying to keep a milk supply built up for the very few times that I am away from home and Parker is with Daddy or Grandma. My fear is that if I stop getting up at least once in the middle of the night to pump that my milk supply will diminish and I won't have milk come morning for Parker. I have been told by friends and have read in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding that my body will adjust to my son's schedule. During the day Parker is nursing every 2-3 hours and then come evening he just wants to sit and nurse almost hourly. Will this frequent nursing keep my milk supply plenished? I still want to be able to keep a supply of milk going so that my husband can give him a bottle periodically and so that I have milk for those times I am away. Am I making any sense? Can someone help me understand the whole body adjusting the baby's schedule thing? I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Mommy to Parker 01.04.2008 and Christopher 12.23.2010

Default Re: Body Adjusting to Baby's Schedule

First off, that is awesome that your lo is sleeping through the night!!!

Your body will adjust. It takes a few days for it to respond to an increase or decrease in stimulation, but it does happen. Your body will remember the times of day when it is stimulated (by nursing or pumping) and will increase milk production in preparation for those times. So if you were to stop doing that early morning pumping, you'd probably be engorged a bit in the morning for a few days and then you'd regulate so that you were just making enough for the morning feeding.

If you are concerned about plugged ducts or a sudden drop in supply, you could try waking up to pump 30 minutes later every day (3:30am then 4:00, 4:30 and so on) until you get close enough to your morning nursing session that you can just stop altogether.

If you aren't going to be away very often or for long periods of time, the one evening pumping session should provide you with plenty of 'emergency' milk.

hth
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Body Adjusting to Baby's Schedule

Thank you!!!

Your idea about getting up a half hour later during the night is a great idea. I am going to try that and see how it goes.

Mommy to Parker 01.04.2008 and Christopher 12.23.2010