Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pulling/tugging

Question Nipple pulling/tugging

My 2 week LO is nursing well-except for one thing that I have noticed in the past few days. When he gets toward the end of nursing he starts pulling/tugging at the nipple like a bird trying to get a worm out of hole. This is not comfortable @ all!!!! He is latched on correctly as there is no discomfort until he starts rearing his head back.

He is gaining weight well-now weighing 8lbs, starting BW 7lb4oz. Dr thinks he might be going thru a growth spurt(@ 2 weeks???), because during the day he has started nursing every hour since this past sunday. At night, its every 2 hrs (I am grateful for the sleep).

Any ideas? Suggestions?
    Thanking you all in advance
    Loving my 3 fabulous sons

Teenager, Preteen and Newborn---WOW!!!

Default Re: Nipple pulling/tugging

If baby seems to be done eating you could try to take him off when he begins to tug. Then if he still acts hungry he can try again.

Default Re: Nipple pulling/tugging

It sure does sound like he wants something!

You can try to end the feeding and offer a finger or paci to suck on, or maybe he's frustrated at the slower flow at the end of a feeding and you could massage and compress the breasts a little to give him milk a little faster.

See here for a non LLL resource on how to do breast compressions
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!