Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about hair coloring...

Default Question about hair coloring...

Not sure where else to post this, but I used to color my hair before I was pregnant. I'm breast feeding via pump these days and was wondering when I can get my hair colored again (and permed).

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

Default Re: Question about hair coloring...

I had to wait until my 2nd trimester to hi-light my hair.. then went on bedrest .... wwwwwhhhhhew, were my roots dark after I delivered! I started coloring my hair again right after dd was born! Don't know about the perm solution though. Just ask your ped and/or your stylist, they will be able to safely advise you.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

i know quite a few moms who dye their hair while breastfeeding. here's what llli says: http://www.llli.org//FAQ/hair.html

I asked my OB about this when I was pg, and he said they don't put formaldehyde in hair color like they used to, so it was likely safe. I got my hair highlighted while pregnant (about 2 weeks before I delivered!), and just a couple weeks ago got it highlighted again (DD is 6 months now.) Also, a friend of mine (who also happens to be my hairdresser) said that she has tons of pg moms come in and get their hair colored. I know with highlighting, the hair color itself doesn't even really touch your scalp...

HTH,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

According to theBREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by La Leche League International, no evidence exists that the nursing mother's use of hair-care products, such as hair dyes and permanents, has any effect on her breastfeeding baby. When a mother uses hair-care products, some of the chemicals will be absorbed through her skin. If her scalp is healthy and intact, less will be absorbed than if the skin on her scalp is scratched or abraded.
    http://www.llli.org//FAQ/hair.html
    HTH!

I had a perm and hair coloring recently. I am breastfeeding my 3.5 month old baby. !

I went and bought a store box coloring for me. I couldn't stand the grey anymore!! However, because there was so much color left in my hair since before I was pg, my hair is now two toned!! LOL!!!

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.