Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New here and seeking help

Unhappy New here and seeking help

Well, hello everyone. My name is Stefanie and I've been lurking for a few days now. I'll tell you my story but it seems to be very similar to some other's here. I started out fully intending to breastfeed my child. I was very sick myself during childhood and some during adulthood so I wanted to give my baby what little bit of an immune system that I have to offer. I had a rough pregnancy (preterm labor and lots of brethine shots) and an even harder delivery. To make a long story short I had a large baby girl (9 lbs) giving me a 4th degree tear and lots of wonderful blood loss. I almost needed an infusion. Initially, I was not even able to hold my daughter. I did for a few minutes in the delivery room but had to give her back to my husband because I was so weak. Finally around 9 or so that night I was a little better and we started nursing. She did really well and we both seemed to take to breastfeeding like pros. I was ecstatic. I thought for sure that this meant everything would go beautifully. It did until the second night in the hospital. She wanted to nurse non stop and I'd been up over 48 hours with no sleep. We kept her in the room the first night. She did do well though. I was at my wit's end. I talked to the nurse about what the options were. She never informed me that all newborns wanted to nurse constantly. She did tell me it would get better when my milk came in. I decided to let her take my daughter to the nursery for a few hours and then bring her back when it was time to nurse again. That nurse totally betrayed my trust. She gave my daughter a bottle that morning in the nursery at 6 am when she should have brought her to my room for a feeding. I know I was tired and weak but I wanted to nurse my child . At first I was like whatever but little did I realize what effect this one bottle had on my child until her next feeding times. Once she saw how easy it was to get that 2 oz bottle she didn't want to feed at my breast. Who would think that one bottle could do that. I tried and tried but I gave in because I was so tired. I didn't give up on breastfeeding though. I would try it at least every other time. I had plenty of milk when it came in but for some reason my daughter got used to the bottle. We are now working on exclusively bfing again at 2 1/2 months old. I now only work part time as opposed to full time. I work 4 hours a day at a place that's only a minute away from my house. I'm really just looking for support and advice. My main problem I believe is that when she's really hungry she won't latch on to the boob for anything. My milk is coming back but I know I need more to exclusively breastfeed.

I want to rent a hospital grade pump. Which one do you girls reccomend? Can any of you give me a ballpark estimate of how much it will cost per month? Hopefully, I can afford it. I am planning on calling one of LLL leaders in my area. I want to make sure that lo is indeed latching on correctly and get more tips. I asked for a lactation consultant in the hospital and they told me I could only have one if there were noticeable problems that the nurse couldn't fix. Well, we didn't have problems until the day we went home. My milk came in a day and a half after that but the damage was already done.

Pleae help me!!! I want to do this with all my heart and I am trying so hard. It's time to do something more though. I want to give my daughter what's best for her.

Default Re: New here and seeking help

It sounds like you are on your way! Can I ask how many bottles she is getting and how many breastfeeding sessions she's getting? I'm not sure about a pump, I'll leave that for some other moms to answer. I think that you are doing the right thing to offer breast first. Try not to let her get to that hungry state where she won't then breastfeed. Could you possibly take a breastfeeding vacation where you and baby lay around for a couple days doing hardly anything but bonding, skin-to-skin, offering the breast a lot? You want her to get to the point where she prefers the breast. Make sure when you do give her a bottle that you are using the slowest flow nipple possible. You want it to be work to get it out. I know there are some bottles that are designed to be more work to get out the milk, similar to breast. Okay, that's all the advice I have right now, but I think you have the right kind of motivation to make this work!

On another note, I'm really sorry this got off to a bad start for you I'm shocked and furious that a nurse gave your daughter a bottle despite your wishes. I know you can make this work despite a rough start though GL!!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I haven't really been counting the number of nursing sessions. I get kind of sidetracked during the day. I think I will start writing down everything though. Today, she was supplemented with about 10 oz of milk. I know we're getting there. I just want to be there as soon as possible. One thing that I don't like is that she doesn't wake up in the middle of the night at all, which is good for sleep, but then when she does wake up she's ravenouse. I may try waking her up once or so during the night for feeds. It may keep her from being so hungry in the mornings. We actually do cuddle a lot in the bed everyday. I work from 2-6 so we cuddle all morning and all evening. We did have a whole day in bed together yesterday though. We may try that again this weekend.

How often do most 11 week old babies nurse? I know that I need stimulation about every 2 hours right now but I'm just curious what most babies around this age do. This is my first child and I want a good bfing relationship with her.

Hi Stefanie and ,

I'm sorry to hear that you and your baby had such a rough start with breastfeeding. There are several actively relactating mothers on this board who I am sure will share their experiences with you. This is a wonderful, supportive group of ladies, with some amazing stories.

Have you had a chance to read the sticky at the top of this forum? It has a lot of great information that can help you as you pursue your goals.

I would definitely recommend getting in contact with your local LLL leader. In addition to the "real life" support that a local LLL leader can give you, she would be able to give you information on where to rent a hospital grade pump, and may even know what the average cost of pump rental is in your area. Also, if you qualify for WIC, you may be able to get your pump for free or very cheaply. Talk to your local WIC office for more information.

Even if you didn't have "major problems" in the hospital, your current situation would warrant an appointment with the lactation consultant. You could try calling the hospital and asking to speak to her directly. Many LCs do phone consultations, similar to LLL leaders. In some areas, LC services are free if you gave birth at that hospital. At the minimum, you should have an appointment with the LC when you rent the hospital grade pump, so that she can show you how to use it and determine if the pump parts fit you correctly.

HTH. It sounds like you are making progress. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Tiana

Well, since last night we have had about 3 or 4 nursing sessions. She seems to be getting used to the breast a little more again. Yesterday when I was changing once I took off my shirt and she actually looked at me and got excited and grinned so I think she knows what mommy's breasts are for now. She hasn't had a bottle at all since last night which makes me very happy. I'm hoping to get some type of pump soon for that one bottle we might need during work but so far everything's going okay. Gotta go now. Baby's beginning to get upset.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Hi Stefanie!

It sounds like you are doing REALLY well now despite your rough start! If she only needs 10 oz a day right now, then you are providing a lot of milk for her - depending on her weight, it could be up to 75% of what she needs. I'm not sure how long you've been at this for but to me, that is amazing! It has probably taken me 2 months to get where you are and we only quit BF for 3 weeks. GOOD work Momma!

I agree with Tiana - you should fight for that meeting with the lactation consultant. There is nothing more critical to relactation than support - from LLL, from a LC, and from all of the wonderful women on this board!

Angie

Hey ladies! I just wanted to let you know that I am still around-it's just hard to get to the computer. My daughter and I hit a snag and my milk supply went down some again. I went and bought fenugreek today. How much am I supposed to take exactly?

Hi again I took fenugreek and it worked for me along w/ drinking more water. The LC told me to find pills that are between 400mg and 600mg and to take 3 pills 3 times a day. Oh and you want to take enough that your peee and sweat smells like maple syrup (I know, weird) Here's a good link about fenugreek. Kellymom is a really good resource too. Good luck and don't worry about this little snag Just keep on taking it a day at a time

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09