Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and Formula due to returning to work

Default BF and Formula due to returning to work

my baby boy is 1.5 weeks old. I have to return to work in 2 months and thought it would be best to start getting him used to both the taste of bm and formula as well as get used to the bottles. Am i counteracting the nutrients of the breast milk my baby boy receives by also supplementing with formula? I find that the bm is "thinner" and he needs to feed much more often and that the formula which I provide during the evening keeps him fuller for a longer period.

I feel guilty when i see that other moms are bfing exclusively. Am i doing something wrong?

Default Re: BF and Formula due to returning to work

Are you going to be pumping while you're working?

Here's
    more info on bottle/alternative feeding methods
    The recommendation is to introduce a bottle around the 4th and 6th week.
    Last edited by Number3; April 7th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

okay, thanks....seems i jumped the gun...any particular reason why to introduce after 4 -6 weeks?

You should not mix the formula and breast milk together. Always feed all the breast milk pumped.
    And don't mistake the fact that formula takes longer to digest as being better or keeping him "fuller". Breastmilk is almost completely absorbed by your child at the right exact rate. That is the reason that is must be fed more often. Formula is harder on their systems and not nearly as much is absorbed. There fore it takes longer to digest. Breastmilk is absorbed to quickly because that's how often the baby needs to send your body the signal to make more milk. An infant can't really hold more than 1-2hours worth of food. Formula just is sitting in their tummies longer. And then your body isn't getting the right amount of signals to make milk. It sounds like you plan to supplement and that is your choice. But be aware that doing that will affect yoru breastmilk supply. So make sure that you are always feeding the breastmilk before the formula. Congratulations on your baby! And good luck to you!

Way too lazy for formula

okay, thanks for your input!

i never mix the bm and formula, however I bf during the day and formula feed during the evening, this way hubby can help too and he is fuller longer throughout the evening

he is getting the hindmilk as the stools are mustard color and seedy.

i hope i'm doing the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by wbarreto View Post
    okay, thanks....seems i jumped the gun...any particular reason why to introduce after 4 -6 weeks?
    The reason to wait to introduce formula if you can is because it will affect yoru supply while you and your baby are working so hard to get your supply established. Also, the longer you exclusively breastfeed the more immunities your child will get during this crucial period in his new little life. If you are home and are going to be for a couple of months, consider pumping and allowing your DH that to feed your child in the evenings so that your child can be exclusively fed breast milk as long as possible.
    I completely understand wanting your DH to help with the evening feeds. We waited until the 5week point to avoid nipple confusion but from 5weeks until about 9months that was part of our families routine. It was a nice way for them to bond. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Are you going to pump at work? Can you pump now? If you can pump now...hubby can give a bottle then to give you a break, and you won't have to supplement with formula.

It is possible to work, pump milk for your baby, and not have to supplement with any formula at all.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!