Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for My Eight Month Old and Nursing on Demand and Working

Default Pumping for My Eight Month Old and Nursing on Demand and Working

I am still nursing my LO at eight months and I've introduced solids and liquids so my question is about how much BM should he be consuming? I am also a WOHM so I pump at work and nurse on demand at home. I know it's not an exact science so I'll be fine with a guesstimate. Thanks!
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Smile Re: Pumping for My Eight Month Old and Nursing on Demand and Working

Hi. Just saw where you live, not so far from me. Anyhoo... my ds is nine mo and he is exclusively breastfed on demand when we are together and I pump at work. You have a good question. One I have had and I don't think I ever got an answer. I guess I keep thinking I have to do what non breastfeeders are doing...counting ounces. But I don't think it works that way. As long as they are steadily gaining they are doing great.
    June 29, 2007 First day of motherhood to my son.

Default Re: Pumping for My Eight Month Old and Nursing on Demand and Working

I have the same questions. I have a 7 month old, am working full time and have been pumping 3 times a day while at work, never on the weekends. My freezer is incredibly full... I probably have at least a week and a half supply at any given time. My daughter has been eating solids and as she increases that, I wonder when I am able to decrease the number of times I pump at work.

With my first daughter I pumped 3x a day at work, had an enormous supply at home just like now, but when she was 11 months I ended up staying home with her for almost a year and didn't have to pump.

I'm worried that if I go down to 2x a day I will decrease my supply and not have enough for her.

Luckily there's no pressure at work to go down to 2x a day, but I guess at some point I won't have to pump this much, right?

You're not alone! I hope we can find some answers.