Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gentian violet for yeast diaper rash??

Lightbulb gentian violet for yeast diaper rash??

hi!
    I used gentian violet early on when we had thrush and I loved it! It cleared up in a day!

It seems now that my LO has a yeast diaper rash (based on pictures I was looking at on google) and Dr. Sears' site says to use an anti-fungal cream, but they seem harsh (and we don't have any.) I just saw on another site, though, that gentian violet can be applied for diaper rash as well... has anyone ever done this? It makes sense that it would work for the yeast, right? What do you all think?

(Won't the daycare be surprised if she shows up with purple all over down there!)

She's 7 months old, btw.

Thanks!!

Default Re: gentian violet for yeast diaper rash??

I believe it is too harsh for that area of the skin. You dont want it to burn. Foot antu fungal was prescribed to me by the doc, lotrimin I believe but any store brand version is fine. Good luck. And the more I think about it definitely dont do the gv on the bum it is sure to burn that sensitive area.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

I heard monistat 7 (sp?) works well to treat a yeast diaper rash.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Well the one time DS got a bit of a yeasty rash, I did use GV on it, dabbed with a cotton ball and it helped overnight Stained the cloth diaper a little but no matter
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by mayberrymum View Post
    I believe it is too harsh for that area of the skin. You dont want it to burn. Foot antu fungal was prescribed to me by the doc, lotrimin I believe but any store brand version is fine. Good luck. And the more I think about it definitely dont do the gv on the bum it is sure to burn that sensitive area.
    Our local pharmacist mixed this up and it's in water, not alcohol, so it shouldn't burn, right? When we had thrush, I put it on my nipples and it didn't feel like anything...

We're putting lotrimin on it for now and it seems to be helping a little, but I'm still curious about the GV.

Well, we put it on tonight... we'll see how it works! The daycare ladies are going to look at me like I'm crazy... not that that's out of the ordinary! I think they'll be pretty shocked by her purple bottom!

Has anyone else tried it?