Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sweet foods

Default Sweet foods

We had our 6 month ped visit today, and it went well for the most part. We have been giving our son solids for about 1.5-2 weeks now, and he has had avocado, oatmeal, sweet potatoes and banana. He said something that I thought was a little weird though... he said that all that stuff is sweet stuff (except the avocado, which we mix with banana), and that we should be careful about giving him only sweet stuff, because that's all he'll want.

I always thought introducing sweet stuff first makes a lot of sense, since my milk is sweet. I imagine if I tried to give him broccoli or something first, it wouldn't have gone too well!

Should I be worried about giving him only sweet stuff now? I plan on offering him some less sweet stuff eventually, but I know that a lot of it I might have to offer many times before he'll like it. How did you all get your child to like some of the non-sweet vegetables? Should I be worried about what I'm giving him now?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Sweet foods

I read the whole "veggies before fruit" thing is just a myth. We started with bananas first and my DD took veggies just fine. Don't even worry about it. You're doing fine
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I read the whole "veggies before fruit" thing is just a myth. We started with bananas first and my DD took veggies just fine. Don't even worry about it. You're doing fine
    I've read that too - and anyway, all the "stage 1" veggies are sweet... peas, squash, sweet potato, etc... I have had a lot of people tell me, "remember, give veggies before fruits or she'll never eat her veggies" and I just smile and say, "ok, thanks" or "we're doing just fine, thanks!"

We started with the sweet stuff and it didn't hurt anything. Now dd is 14 mo. and she isn't crazy about anything sweet (except for bm of course)!
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

our dd LOVES the sweet stuff....... applesauce, BANANA'S (AND ALL BANANA'S W/ ... type variations) pears. AND-----------------------------------------------------------------------------> that's it.

We tried the peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans..etc. Yeah. Um, NO. She figured out how to immidiately slam her little chin into her neck, and paste her little lips together tightly. If... I mean IF by chance you DO get a spoonful in there... she has figured out how to spit it out everywhere! So I am at a loss as well with the veggies!!

I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Well, I guess after 6 months of sweet yummy mommy milk veggies are an acquired taste. It makes a lot of sense that they would like the sweet stuff first and that the less sweet veggies would be an acquired taste. I'm going to try not to take the doctor seriously about it and keep doing what I'm doing. I don't see him eating greens anytime soon, (but I'll keep trying).
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Lance's Mommy View Post
    Well, I guess after 6 months of sweet yummy mommy milk veggies are an acquired taste. It makes a lot of sense that they would like the sweet stuff first and that the less sweet veggies would be an acquired taste. I'm going to try not to take the doctor seriously about it and keep doing what I'm doing. I don't see him eating greens anytime soon, (but I'll keep trying).

Us too! I mean obviously, at 6 and 7 months old, our lo's still rely on us for the majority of their nutrition. So, it's not like they are going to starve from not eating their green veggies. ITA, we will just keep offering them....... heck, maybe if we keep moving her around the kitchen.... the walls wont need painting.... they will be "all-naturale-ah-la-peas" colored!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months