Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yellow spit up?

Default Yellow spit up?

My dd 5 months spit up a little bit of yellow early this morning. Very little bit. She has never done that before and I was wondering if anyone else has seen that?
    She is behaving fine and is not sick at all. I checked my milk and that looked normal as well...
    Just was a little strange seeing that!

Default Re: Yellow spit up?

I've experienced this with my DD and it was a symptom of her reflux. But I think that if she's not showing any signs of being in "distress" that it may just be a little stomach acid in there causing it? Or possibly something you've been eating. I especially wouldn't worry if it's just happened this once. With the reflux it happens fairly regularly.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I was wondering if it was stomach acid too...it is good to hear it has happened to other moms too! It was just a little jarring to see yellow!

I know what you mean! It totally freaked me out the first time it happened with my DD. You just don't expect any color coming out of them.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DS had yellow spit up once too, and yeah, it worried me. I'm glad you asked this. Since it was only once for him, other than mentioning it to DH, I just waited to see if it would happen again, which it hasn't. So, I guess we're ok!

My DD had yellow in her spit up this morning as well for the first time. She's been spitting quite alot today but has been otherwise settled. She was on DH's lap when it happened and was smiling and giggling afterwards. I'm going to take her to the doctor to see what he says. She is nearly 10 weeks old and exhibits some of the signs of reflux but doesn't scream or seem to be in any discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid* View Post
    My DD had yellow in her spit up this morning as well for the first time. She's been spitting quite alot today but has been otherwise settled. She was on DH's lap when it happened and was smiling and giggling afterwards. I'm going to take her to the doctor to see what he says. She is nearly 10 weeks old and exhibits some of the signs of reflux but doesn't scream or seem to be in any discomfort.
    What did her Dr say? I'm having the same issue with my 9wk old daughter - there was yellow in her spit up a few times today - quite alarming as this has never happened before. Her Dr says she is just a happy spitter and does not have reflux (due to no signs of discomfort - she smiles and giggles after she spits up sometimes) I called her Dr's office and they said it is probably sinus drainage and gave me some steps to remedy (saline drops, etc.) but I would like to know what your Dr said about reflux. Thank you.

I had this happen to my lo a few weeks ago and my dr told me that as long as it wasnt green, then we were ok. But it was scary to see, (it looked like cracked egg yolk - sorry for the visual) It never happened again, so i guess it was just a one-timer! I was wondering if it could be bec she went about 10 - 11 hrs w/o a feeding - it was right after her first morning feeding and went down early the night before. Like it was bile from her por lil empty stomach!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

could it also be some phlegm from being a little congested?

J