Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only will breastfeed in one position

Question Only will breastfeed in one position

My 4-month old daughter will only breastfeed in one position and that is with me lying on my side, on my bed with her. This is becoming very frustrating as she refuses to nurse in public or even in my arms for that matter. She will end up crying and crying when I try to nurse her any other way. What can I do to get her used to nursing in public? Also, she refuses to take a bottle of breastmilk. Can anyone recommend a bottle?

Thanks...

Default Re: Only will breastfeed in one position

My son likes the Born Free bottles. He was using the Avent ones at first but then decided he didn't like them anymore (which was also ok with me because of the potential BPA issues). We tried the Medela ones and he hated those. He was ok with the Playtex drop-ins but I disliked them because I couldn't see how much he was really eating unless he finished the bottle. Anyway, I guess the bottom line is to try several and hopefully you'll eventually find one that works. You may also need to try having someone else bottle-feed your LO. My son refuses to take one from me but will happily do so from his daddy or his nanny. That's very frustrating to me, but another topic entirely...

Good luck!

I don't have any advise...I just wanted to let you know you're not alone! My 5 month old will only nurse lying down as well, and she screams and arches her back if I try any other way. I'm interested to find out if anyone else has solutions because we have been doing this for over a month with no end in sight! I am completely tied down to the house!
    and loving it!

First time mom to Rory Anne

Born 10/29/07 7lbs 10ounces

A friend of mine and her baby had this problem. She had such a distracted baby that for awhile (I think a few months) that was the only way she would nurse for her, was in a dark room laying down.

It got better for her, I remember she tried everything and then one day she wanted to nurse while they were out somewhere and then she nursed everywhere again.

Sorry no suggestions, other than to say I hope it gets better!

This too shall pass.

Could you try holding your arm under her head while side lying? Perhaps then you could scoot up (or gingerly sit up) with her still latched on? Or perhaps try nursing with her lying across your chest, and sit up into a reclining position? Once baby is okay with any minor changes, perhaps try something new? Definitely keep trying different positions in different locations. One day, something will work!

Here's some info on offering bottles and alternative methods of feeding when baby refuses bottles:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

And here's some information about distractible babies:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post

This too shall pass.

Could you try holding your arm under her head while side lying? Perhaps then you could scoot up (or gingerly sit up) with her still latched on? Or perhaps try nursing with her lying across your chest, and sit up into a reclining position? Once baby is okay with any minor changes, perhaps try something new? Definitely keep trying different positions in different locations. One day, something will work!
    That is great advice! My son only liked side lying for the first 3 months too- I got him transfered to a boppy then slowly got him more upright to nurse in public. She'll get there , just go slowly
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

i have the same problem..we used to always feed in the cross cradle hold..now he will only feed with me lying down and him across...the feeds seem to take longer this way also..i have family coming down in a few days and we were meant to be going to a theme park,,,but i think ill be home alone if it continues..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Thank you everyone for all of your good advice. It's comforting to know that
    I am not alone.

Another thought...you could try a different position in motion. Perhaps try nursing while walking with baby in a sling/wrap or just cradled in your arms. Some babies like to nurse while rocking, swaying, or bouncing, too. Maybe once you're back upright, a simple rock, sway, or rhythmic pats on baby's bum will soothe her enough to settle down and nurse.