Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another "is this normal?" question

Default Another "is this normal?" question

So our 10-day old is starting to get the hang of breastfeeding, and showing all good signs so far: good diaper output, weight gain (although still a little on the low side). Normally he'll be hungry every 3 hours or so at the most. So today he feeds at 2pm, then falls asleep. It gets to about 6pm, and my wife and figure we should wake him. We start to wake him up, and he's not showing any signs he's hungry (no rooting, smacking his lips, etc.). We try to feed him anyway just to see, but it's pretty clear he's not hungry (starts fussing at the breast). He gets pretty upset, so I swaddle him and rock him a little, and he goes back to sleep! It's now 7:30pm, 5.5 hours since his last feeding. I don't think he's ever gone this long before, so, I ask you, is this normal, or should I be concerned about this?

Default Re: Another "is this normal?" question

I would not worry if it was something that only happens every now and then (once per day). He could be growing some and just needs to sleep.

HTH

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as his diaper output and weight gain are still good as you said and he's acting alert and "normal" when he is awake.

I also just wanted to say that it's so great to see a dad on here. It's wonderful that you're supporting your wife and helping her with breastfeeding your new little one
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Well, I don't think we'll let him go that long again! We finally got him awake at about 8pm, and he had his super-fussy pants on. He still wasn't showing many signs of being hungry, and he was too agitated to get on the breast. So we dropper-fed him some breastmilk and he was pretty interested in that. After that he calmed down enough where he could nurse for a good half hour. I think his blood sugar had just dropped to the point where he was too agitated to do anything but scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I also just wanted to say that it's so great to see a dad on here. It's wonderful that you're supporting your wife and helping her with breastfeeding your new little one
    And I just want to say that I really appreciate all of the support I've gotten on here! I didn't see too many dads posting, so I wasn't sure what kind of reception I'd get, but y'all have been very welcoming and helpful.

It'a funny how they change so fast, one minute your wondering if it's ok if they go over 3 hours for a feeding and the next your wondering if it is ok that they feed every hour All a part of growing i suppose... I too wanted to give you a BIG for being such a supportive DH. and for keeping all of us up to date on your progress. Keep it up daddy, your doing great

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in