Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will nipple shield help ?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Will nipple shield help ?

When I needed help for painful nursing, I was given the "go ahead" from my OB nurse. When in contact with LLL people, they encourage people to not use them-and for good reason.Once you're on them, it's very difficult, frustrating, and confusing for lo to not use them once you don't need them anymore. Read this FAQ called "Nipple Shields . . . Friend or Foe?" http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul00p39.html if you haven't already.

If you're still having pain nursing, is it through the entire feeding? If so, really trouble shoot your latch and positioning.

I'd encourage you to not get on them. I have been there and it's no picnic coming off of them and it's no picnic having to stay on them: it's an extra step in each nursing session, one more thing to sterilize, hard to make sure it's positioned at night when you're a zombie and it's dark... I could go on and on...

Are you having any cracking? bleeding? blistering?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Yep.. I am having pain throughout feeding particularly very severe during the initial latch on. It seem I have almost lost the black membrane on my nipple (they are pink now...I guess the next stage would be bleeding....).

And for now, I have given up and am going to pump in another hour or so. I have given a bottle of BM to my son. To update, he had two really good wet diaper and a decent poopy diaper during the 6 hr period (10 a.m to 4 p.m).

Thanks

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

It sounds like since you're having pain through the whole feeding that it's a latch issue. If you're six weeks into it, you should be having pain-free feedings now and over the initial "toughening" phase.

Are baby's lips curled way out? Nose touching or almost touching the breast? Nice, wide, open mouth?

It may help to switch the ways you hold baby, ie. for one feeding do the football hold and the next one do cradle so that the nipple isn't assaulted on the same spots over and over. Are you using lanolin cream?

When I was badly cracked and bleeding and lanolin alone wasn't doing the trick, my OB prescribed me something called triple nipple cream. The pharmacist makes the compound right there in the pharmacy. It's a combo of steroid, antibiotic, and anti-yeast (because cracking opens up the breast to infections like thrush) creams, if memory serves. That helped me to heal while I worked on my latch issue, which I had to do all over again once I got off the nipple shield. Not fun!

I'm sorry you're going through such a frustrating time, momma. Hang in there and let us know when we can help.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

He opens his mouth not so wide, but I could see him swallowing for 5 mins and after that he simply chews on me. I could see myself feeling full within 30 mins or so. I am using only the Lanolin cream and have my OB visit next visit.
    Now that I gave him a bottle with 1.5 oz breast milk. He felt contented and fell asleep.

With all the frustration, my son had a very bad spit up and I am helpless. I didn't pump much today and I have only few ounces of BM in my fridge. I am afraid I might end up giving formula for my son.

The LC returned my call and told me that I may go ahead with the nipple shield but need to watch for my son's latch. If he's not going to latch on properly with the shield, then it might land me in more problems.

Any advice/suggestions please?

ChicagoMommy--

Don't give up! You are going to read and hear different advice about nipple shields--tons of different opinions. But to me, it was a life-saver for the first 3-4 weeks of my daughter's life.

My daughter was tongue-tied and could not get a proper latch, and every time she tried to latch I was in extreme pain. I ended up with cracked nipples and I was pumping as well as using the nipple shield. I used a cream that my hospital recommended (I just made it at home) to help heal my bleeding nipples. (Sounds like its the same triple nipple cream that someone else on here suggested). It works like a charm and in just a few days my nipples were healed. You can still pump with the cream and I was told by my hospital that the cream would not harm the baby if she ingested some of it (the amounts are small to begin with). I probably have the recipe somewhere for it, but I would recommend you ask your doctor about it. I am sure you can get a pharmacist to make it for you once you have the proper ingredients. It also soothes the pain.

As for the nipple shield. I hated that thing, but you can find one at pretty much any store that has a lot of baby stuff--Burlington Coat Factory, Target, maybe even WalMart. Babies R Us of course, and maybe Toys R us. Look in the bottle/breast pump section.

Once my daughter's tongue was clipped (frenulectomy) it only took a couple of weeks to train her to accept my breast without the nipple shield. I might have been able to do it sooner, even, but I was a nervous new mommy and my nipples were still pretty sore.

In the end, I think the shield is a good temporary tool if you are having trouble--and it sounds like at 6 weeks you are having tons of it. Maybe your son is tongue-tied, too? Have you looked under his tongue to see if it is attached close to the front of his mouth? Basically being tongue-tied would make it difficult to lift your tongue and move it around your mouth.

Please don't give up. I understand the difficulty you are going through--I never thought I would be able to breastfeed without the nipple shield once my daughter got used to it, but you can train your baby to go back to the bare breast. It just takes time and patience. The nipple shield also requires patience at first, too--it is a little awkward but give it some time. Once you guys figure out what the problem is and fix it it will all be worth it.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomommy View Post
    I tried contacting my local LLL leader and she said strict no to nipple shields. However I am yet to get my call returned from my lactation consultant @ hospital. Meanwhile, my LLL leader advised me to try EBFing my son for 24-48 hrs. I started today @ 10 A.M and it has been 5 hrs (approximately) and he would nurse on my right side for 20 mins and play for another 30 mins. I am having soreness in my nipple and he never slept during those 5 hrs except for a single cat nap (10 mins). Also my left breast is inverted and he doesn't like to nurse on that side (though we managed 10 mins nursing on that side too).

I am feeling too full and honestly feel I need to pump to collect my milk or I fear I might end up having engorgement.

I am going to pump my left breast atleast for now to avoid engorgement.

But honestly I feel, my son never seems to be contented and hence thinking of going back to pumping.

How were your baby's diapers during the time you were exclusively nursing? About how many wet and dirty?

Did you consider pumping after feeding in order to soften your breast?

Is your goal to get your baby back to the breast, chicago? In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen?

Thanks Laura for your advice

During the 6 hrs exclusive nursing, my son had 2 really good wet diapers and 1 dirty diaper. No I didn't pump after nursing because my LLL leader suggested me not to pump for atleast 24- 48 hrs just to make sure I have enough milk to provide the baby during every feeding. I would love to get my son back to breast. Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post

How were your baby's diapers during the time you were exclusively nursing? About how many wet and dirty?

Did you consider pumping after feeding in order to soften your breast?

Is your goal to get your baby back to the breast, chicago? In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen?