Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will nipple shield help ?

Default Re: Will nipple shield help ?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomommy View Post
    My son is 6 weeks is old and have been having latching problems. So I have been pumping and giving in a bottle. I am able to meet his needs (at times give him a couple of ounces of formula if absolutely necessary). I occasionally bf him directly but it always hurts. Moreover if I bear the pain and feed him for an hour, he never empties my breast and I feel full soon. He's never been contented with me whenever I try to bf him directly.
    Have you seen anyone about the pain? Pain in the nipples as well as baby not feeding efficiently are signs that baby may not be latched on correctly. It would be benefical to have an IBCLC, LLL Leader, or other lactation professional observe your baby nursing. We can offer suggestions online, but since we cannot see what is going on, we are limited as to what specific suggestions we can provide. Please, if at all possible, see someone locally.

I tried contacting my local LLL leader and she said strict no to nipple shields. However I am yet to get my call returned from my lactation consultant @ hospital. Meanwhile, my LLL leader advised me to try EBFing my son for 24-48 hrs. I started today @ 10 A.M and it has been 5 hrs (approximately) and he would nurse on my right side for 20 mins and play for another 30 mins. I am having soreness in my nipple and he never slept during those 5 hrs except for a single cat nap (10 mins). Also my left breast is inverted and he doesn't like to nurse on that side (though we managed 10 mins nursing on that side too).
    You mention that your left nipple is inverted. Is your right nipple flat or does it protrude?

Here is some helpful information about acheiving a comfortable and effective latch with flat or inverted nipples:
    My doctor said I have inverted or flat nipples. Can I still breastfeed my baby?

I am feeling too full and honestly feel I need to pump to collect my milk or I fear I might end up having engorgement. I am going to pump my left breast atleast for now to avoid engorgement.
    If your baby is unable to "empty" your breast, then pumping or hand expressing after feeding can be beneficial (assuming oversupply is not a concern, of course).

But honestly I feel, my son never seems to be contented and hence thinking of going back to pumping.

I am having pain throughout feeding particularly very severe during the initial latch on. It seem I have almost lost the black membrane on my nipple (they are pink now...I guess the next stage would be bleeding....).
    Are your nipples raw, chicago? Are they painful even between feedings? Were your nipples badly damaged in the beginning?

Did you have any help with latch at first? Did anyone observe a feeding and offer assistance for achieving a better latch?

Has your baby's mouth and sucking ability been assessed by your IBCLC or pediatrician?

And for now, I have given up and am going to pump in another hour or so. I have given a bottle of BM to my son. To update, he had two really good wet diaper and a decent poopy diaper during the 6 hr period (10 a.m to 4 p.m).
    That's good news! What goes in, must come out.

He opens his mouth not so wide, but I could see him swallowing for 5 mins and after that he simply chews on me. I could see myself feeling full within 30 mins or so. I am using only the Lanolin cream and have my OB visit next visit. Now that I gave him a bottle with 1.5 oz breast milk. He felt contented and fell asleep.
    You might consider trying breast compressions. This is a technique that helps your baby take in more milk for his efforts by bringing down more milk, thus continuing the active suck/swallow pattern. You can read about the technique here (from there, you can follow a link to videos that show you how the technique works):
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

With all the frustration, my son had a very bad spit up and I am helpless. I didn't pump much today and I have only few ounces of BM in my fridge. I am afraid I might end up giving formula for my son.
    You could try to put him back to the breast for that feeding.

The LC returned my call and told me that I may go ahead with the nipple shield but need to watch for my son's latch. If he's not going to latch on properly with the shield, then it might land me in more problems.
    Could you see your IBCLC? She could help you achieve a deep, comfortable, and effective latch. And, if you decide to try a nipple shield, she can assure that your shield is a proper fit for both your nipple and your baby's mouth (shields come in several sizes and two styles).

During the 6 hrs exclusive nursing, my son had 2 really good wet diapers and 1 dirty diaper. No I didn't pump after nursing because my LLL leader suggested me not to pump for atleast 24- 48 hrs just to make sure I have enough milk to provide the baby during every feeding. I would love to get my son back to breast. Thanks for listening!
    Was the output in line with what you would normally see in six hours?

Do you feel like you have a lot of milk?

Could you please tell us how your baby's feeding/nursing pattern is now? How often are you nursing? How often are you feeding ebm? How often are you pumping?

Default Re: Will nipple shield help ?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    Have you seen anyone about the pain? Pain in the nipples as well as baby not feeding efficiently are signs that baby may not be latched on correctly. It would be benefical to have an IBCLC, LLL Leader, or other lactation professional observe your baby nursing. We can offer suggestions online, but since we cannot see what is going on, we are limited as to what specific suggestions we can provide. Please, if at all possible, see someone locally.

My LC visited me in the hospital and told me that my baby's lips (particularly lower one) was curled inwards and asked me to work on that. Other than that, I had met my local LLL leader and she told me the same. I felt my nipples were pinched once my baby came out, but she didn't accept that and told me the latch was fine.

You mention that your left nipple is inverted. Is your right nipple flat or does it protrude?

Both my nipples were flat when I had my first baby 3.5 years back. But then I was using an electric pump for a while and fed her both bm and formula during the initial months and gave up bf very soon. Now with my son, my right side is pretty much protruding. I have a bigger aerola though and my nipples wouldn't be erect like what I see in the bfing educational videos. However I get to see them sharp and erect while showering though.

Here is some helpful information about acheiving a comfortable and effective latch with flat or inverted nipples:
    My doctor said I have inverted or flat nipples. Can I still breastfeed my baby?

If your baby is unable to "empty" your breast, then pumping or hand expressing after feeding can be beneficial (assuming oversupply is not a concern, of course).

I don't think I have an oversupply as whenever I used to pump I see drops of milk getting into bottle ...a couple of sprays here and there or else most of the times, I squeeze my breasts to get 2.5 - 3 oz milk per session. At times I may get 3.5 - 4 oz per session. I pump 7-8 times a day in addition to trying to get my son directly on to my breasts.

Are your nipples raw, chicago? Are they painful even between feedings? Were your nipples badly damaged in the beginning?

Yes...my nipples are sore and painful even between feedings. That's the reason whenever I feed my son for, say 20 mins and he'll play for 20 mins (never sleeps though as he wouldn't be contented). I always tend to get tensed to get him back to direct feeding as for the fear of pain. My nipples have almost become pink and lost the brown/black membranes on them.

Did you have any help with latch at first? Did anyone observe a feeding and offer assistance for achieving a better latch?

Yep ...I was observed by my LCs' and local LLL leader.

Has your baby's mouth and sucking ability been assessed by your IBCLC or pediatrician?

Nope.

That's good news! What goes in, must come out.

You might consider trying breast compressions. This is a technique that helps your baby take in more milk for his efforts by bringing down more milk, thus continuing the active suck/swallow pattern. You can read about the technique here (from there, you can follow a link to videos that show you how the technique works):
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

You could try to put him back to the breast for that feeding.

Could you see your IBCLC? She could help you achieve a deep, comfortable, and effective latch. And, if you decide to try a nipple shield, she can assure that your shield is a proper fit for both your nipple and your baby's mouth (shields come in several sizes and two styles).

My LC visits will not be covered by my insurance. Do I need to pay to get help from IBCLCs'. I haven't heard about them.

Was the output in line with what you would normally see in six hours?
    Absolutely yes.

Do you feel like you have a lot of milk?
    Never.

Could you please tell us how your baby's feeding/nursing pattern is now? How often are you nursing? How often are you feeding ebm? How often are you pumping?

My son gets 3.5 - 4.5 oz every 3 hours. I dare to try 1 or 2 direct nursing sessions. Most of the time, I try to feed him with ebm ...but at times, due to his spit up and irregular feeding schedules, I supplement him with 3- 3.5 oz formula in a day.

PS: Hadn't I found this site, I would have given up bfing/ feeding my son with ebm even early. I am very grateful to the members of this site and would recommend this site to struggling mothers like me. You guys are real lifesavers for mothers and particularly to babies.