Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will nipple shield help ?

Default Will nipple shield help ?

Hi,

My son is 6 weeks is old and have been having latching problems. So I have been pumping and giving in a bottle. I am able to meet his needs (at times give him a couple of ounces of formula if absolutely necessary). I occasionally bf him directly but it always hurts. Moreover if I bear the pain and feed him for an hour, he never empties my breast and I feel full soon. He's never been contented with me whenever I try to bf him directly.

I was wondering whether a nipple shield would help? If yes, where can I get them and I am using a bigger flange for the hospital grade electric pump.

Please help me.

Thanks

Default Re: Will nipple shield help ?

I don't know that I will be of much help but I am a fan of the nipple shield when needed. I think you should see a lactation consultant if possible. That is where I got my nipple shield. I think if you try to nurse more often the soreness that you fill will eventually go away. It could be that there is a latch issue if your lo is getting a bottle and then only occasionally going to the breast. The skin to skin contact you have with your lo will help you keep your supply. He is ofrced to work harder when getting the milk from you versus the bottle nipple that could be why he is frustrated. Back to the shield...what worked for me was I would start the nursing session with the shield, I would wait for my let down and when my daughter would take a little break from suckling I would remove the shield and put her right back to the breast. We were able to get rid of the shield within about 2 weeks of starting to use it. I used it b/c her latch was off and I had continued nursing with an improper latch and it had caused me sever pain. But the pain went away and she nursed until she was 2. The discomfort will subside, just offer the breast more often so your nipples get used to the process. good luck and keep trying!!

Thanks for replying. But I have never felt my let down even when during my son's nursing or while pumping. Now that it has been 6 weeks since my son's birth, my insurance wouldn't cover the lactation services visit, I don't know how I can manage to get the right nipple shield.

Do you have LLL in your area? It's free advice. I always just call the LCs at the hospital where DD was born and they often give phone consultation for free. Nipple shield is better than pumping and then bottle feeding simply b/c your baby will get more milk out while directly feeding than you can get out with a pump and b/c you are still getting that skin to skin bonding time. So, it's worth a shot. You can get nipple shields at babies r us and I've heard Target sells them too. I've just gotten mine at babies r us. If you have smaller nipples, you should get the smaller one, if you think you are average, then get the bigger one (I think). I used a nipple shield until a couple weeks ago (about six months). She never had weight gain issues. GL!!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I used a shield for latching issues too. The LC in the hospital gave it to me, but i did see one at Babies R Us. we used it until dd was 3 months old. i never had an issue with pain while using it either so it might help, but if it is a true latch issue, you might want to get it checked... IMO

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

with the other posts. Most local hospitals have LCs you can talk to via phone for free and/or free support groups. Your local LLL leader may be able to help too. I have bought the shields at Babies R Us. You can probably get them anywhere medela products are sold. Here is a link on nipple shields:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

We got one at the hospital and then one for the diaper bag from a medical distributor that's in town. I don't have a BabiesRUs nearby though. I think the NS is why I am stuill BFing at 8 1/2 months! What ever you do to get your LO to get BM is good whether it be a NS or pumping or whatever!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll try to contact the LC @ the hospital for furthur advice.

Thanks a ton!

Good luck! I think the nipple shield can be such a lifesaver - I know I would have never made it with DS without one!

I tried contacting my local LLL leader and she said strict no to nipple shields. However I am yet to get my call returned from my lactation consultant @ hospital. Meanwhile, my LLL leader advised me to try EBFing my son for 24-48 hrs. I started today @ 10 A.M and it has been 5 hrs (approximately) and he would nurse on my right side for 20 mins and play for another 30 mins. I am having soreness in my nipple and he never slept during those 5 hrs except for a single cat nap (10 mins). Also my left breast is inverted and he doesn't like to nurse on that side (though we managed 10 mins nursing on that side too).

I am feeling too full and honestly feel I need to pump to collect my milk or I fear I might end up having engorgement.

I am going to pump my left breast atleast for now to avoid engorgement.

But honestly I feel, my son never seems to be contented and hence thinking of going back to pumping.

Thanks for reading and expecting your suggestions.