Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone have diminishing supply after MANY months of pumping at work?

Default Anyone have diminishing supply after MANY months of pumping at work?

I don't know what is going on with me, but after 6.5 months of successfully pumping at work (3X a day), it appears that my supply is suffering. I used to get at least 12 oz a day, but now I am getting 6-8 oz. This is not enough to feed my son! If this has happened to you, what did you do to increase supply?

I have always pumped one boob per session...mimicking what he would do if I were home (he's only ever nursed one side per session). Should I start pumping both sides? I worry about this because he won't nurse from both sides when I am home with him and I don't want to have one boob engorged as a result.

I have not yet resorted to fenugreek, but I think I will pick some up today.

I feel lucky because its been SOOOO easy up to this point, but I feel frustrated regardless.

Default Re: Anyone have diminishing supply after MANY months of pumping at work?

I remember I started having a lower supply while pumping right before aunt flo returned. I have always pumped both sides with no problems. Whenever I tried to pump one side only I couldn't get anything. Try pumping both sides and see what happens. I don't think you have to worry about engorgement.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Default Re: Anyone have diminishing supply after MANY months of pumping at work?

I agree with previous poster, try pumping both sides and you may find that AF is going to show up for you soon. It will take a few days to a week to see if you are pumping too much (and you become engorged) but this will happen slowly and you can back off pretty quick if it becomes a problem.

Are you having any tenderness while pumping or nursing?

Also check parts for wear, replace anything that can be replaced if your not sure.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I have a suspicion that AF is involved here...or will be, I should say. It would be my first AF PP. I do have some tenderness and even nipple tenderness while LO is nursing. I posted about that the other day on the main board.

I will try both sides. I don't really want to supplement with formula if I don't have to....

Thanks!!

I have only ever fed DD from one side but have always pumped both sides (3x's a day, 5 days a week) and I don't have a problem on the weekend or at night with engorgement.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I had the same problem around 7 months. I took fenugreek and saw an IBCLC, ate oatmeal nonstop, and still couldn't get my pumping production up. For me, it ended up being a problem letting down with the pump (my supply was fine, but I couldn't let down).

I have been pumping at work for 9 mths and at around 6-7 mths my supply dipped (right after af returned) and I had to go back to renting a hospital grade pump. Now I have no issue getting enough.

That was about when mine dipped too. I did fenugreek and that seemed to help.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

I would rec that you pump both sides at the same time, (as let down is usually at the same time for both breasts) Our dd is 7 months now, and I have been pumping at work on the weekends only (I only work wkends) a couple of weeks ago was the first AF PP (heck, I think... I have the Mirena, and if it was, it was light... sorry TMI) . I definitely have noticed a dip in my supply in the last 6 weeks! Especially when pumping at work! I have started taking fenugreek, which seems to boost my supply a little! I will say though, the whole thing about "when you sweat, when you take fenugreek it smells like maple syrup" ..... Yep, it does! I have been walking a couple of miles a day, and when I get home, I smell like pancakes
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

I agree with pp, it could be a number of factors. I experienced a "Six Month Slump" too. This article was very helpful to me: http://workandpump.com/6month.htm
    Sarah
    mommy to Liam, born 2/15/07
    14 months of breastfeeding and counting!

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert